Which is better: separates or receiver?

My husband and I are considering integrating our stereo with our home theater. I am looking for any advice on which is better, running with a 5 channel amp and a preamp/processor, or using a big HT receiver. Any recommendations are appreciated. We are working with a budget not exceeding $3000.
emily

Showing 1 response by tmartinjr9589

I have separates. Over the past 5-7 years, I've upgraded my stereo system to about a $8,000 HT system.

A couple of years ago, I wanted to move to a Dolby digital system. I went to Circuit City and told them I wanted to buy their best AV Receiver. They sold me a $1,100 Kenwood. I hooked it up at home, and within 10 seconds of this first cut, Fleetwood Mac DVD, I knew it did not have the dynamics or frequency response of my separates. I listened to a CD, but the product went back a couple days later. I later bought the Rotel 985 ($2,000 list) for $1700. I've been pleased. I've seen it selling for around $1,100 used.

There may be some $2,000 receivers that are worth considering, like the Yamaha and B&K.

Things are changing in this industry very rapidly. There are a couple features I would consider important with anything I would buy today.

1. Does the receiver/pre-pro have 5.1 audio inputs for the next generation DVD-players? The Rotel 985 does. The Sony 9000 does not.

2. Does the receiver/pre-pro have component video switching? Video from cable or DVD's is transferred using either composite video, S-video, or Component video. Component video is the best and most good TVs now sold have all 3 type of inputs. My Rotel does not have this. If you buy a progressive scan DVD, you will want component switching. If you do not have it, you will need to directly connect your DVD player to the TV and use the TV as your video switcher.

3. As for DVD player, either buy a $250 unit or a $1,000+ unit. I decided to upgrade my Sony 300 (probably equal to $200 units today). I could not see/hear any improvements with $500/600 players. I even brought two home. I then bought the Sony 9000ES for $1300. The audio sound from CDs and DVD's were vastly superior to the Sony 300 (or the JVC723GD that I had home at the time.) The video was superior as well. There's other $1,000+ DVD players that are similar to the Sony in sound/video quality.