Where is the next generation of direct drive?

Are there any good DD tables worth looking into? So much progress has been made with belt-drives, I would like to believe a careful re-thinking of DD motors could produce something worthwhile.
cocoabaroque
I could not agree more on DD table, please do not look down on vintage DD table. They can be extremely good if set up properly. I have own many tt. One of the worse tt I have ever own is a semi suspended BD TT which I do not wish to name. The BD tt I own sounded bass light, lack of music foundation, artificial PRAT and the performance is really far away from my other DD table.
The higher end vintage DD tables rule OK from the 70's, early 80's. This was from an era, especially the Japanese manufacturers made statement tables and sold at a loss, just to show what they could do.
Many of the high end Japanese tables they kept for themselves and did not sell outside of Japan.

Some of the classik DD tables that can and do compete with any table out today are

Kenwood L-07D
Luxman PD-441
Sony PS-X9
Technics SP-10
Pioneer Exclusive P-3 - just superb
Onkyo PX-100
Yamaha GT-2000
Denon DP-100M
Downunder, i have own most of the list you suggested :)
I have a P3a not P3, the biggest different between the two is the tonearm. The P3 tonearm use rubber decouple for the counterweight shaft, overtime time it may sag a bit, just like my P10. It also lack the active resonator absorber on the arm tube. The P3a arm on the other hand use rigid couple on the conterweight shaft. The armtube is different and equip with the active resonator absorber. With P3a arm you get a very low distortion and direct lively sound. You should hunt for the arm to realize the full potential of this TT. They are truly superb....
Hi Snake

You are abvioulsy a smart music lover and probably paid half the price for 6 tables connpared to the inflated price of the one new expensive DD table. P3a arm is hard to come by by its self.
Yes, I am aware of the differnces as my friend has the p3a arm. My P3 arm is perfectly straight as well as my p10, well maybe 99.95%. P3 looks a little bit better.

As you well know, the damping fluid has more infulyence on the sound than anything else.
Hammy, Your quote about motor noise in a dd turntable shows that you do not understand the mechanism. You should read Hiho's post above, as well as a few others that came after yours. A motor consists of a rotor and a stator. In a dd turntable, the platter and the rotor are one and the same thing, so there can be no vibration of the kind you describe. Also, it would not hurt to listen to a properly restored and re-plinthed vintage dd before you make up your mind. If you listen to an old piece of junk that has leaky aged electrolytic caps inside, that's OK with me, but don't judge the whole genre on that basis. At this point in my audio life, and after 35 years of listening mostly to bd turntables, I have fallen irrevocably in love with a few great idler and dd turntables that I restored/replinthed to a high level, and I ain't goin' back.