Where are the young audiophiles?

I find it alarming that 95% of all audiophiles are seniors.According to a consultant at my local HI-FI store,young people don't seem interested in high-end equipment.They listen to music on their phone.Sooner or later, all the great neighborhood HI-FI stores will not be able to remain open. Kind of sad,don't you think?
128x128rockysantoro

Showing 1 response by ii808ii

We do exist. I’m 24 and I am just starting to build my first stereo system (I have done the Audeze thing for 3 years before this). I do have to say though I don’t think I would be at this stage this early in my life if it wasn’t for the fact that my dad is and has always been a huge audiophile. 
Of people my age, I only know one other person who is into audio. I think accessibility is the largest issue for younger people. Most people my age would never have been exposed to this world and if they have it’s typically the kind of exposure that make audiophile products seem like snake oil. Add on to that the fact that this isn’t a cheap hobby or a particularly space efficient one either and it mostly comes across as inconvenient to the uninitiated. 
That, I think, goes back to my audiophile upbringing because, as much as there are distinct differences between listening to music on a generic tv soundbar versus a pair of decent floorstanding speakers and amplification, source, etc, being able to appreciate and articulate those differences (consciously and subconsciously) is a learned skill. This is a skill that I was fortunate to start and continue to develop without realizing for as long as I can remember since my father always had music playing through how various systems over the years. 
People my age (in most cases) simply have not had the time or experience yet needed to appreciate this funny hobby.