When someone tells you it's a $40,000 amp, does it sound better?

I've always been a little bit suspicious when gear costs more than $25,000 . At $25,000 all the components should be the finest, and allow room for designer Builder and the dealer to make some money.

I mean that seems fair, these boxes are not volume sellers no one's making a ton of money selling the stuff.

But if I'm listening to a $40,000 amplifier I imagine me Liking it a whole lot more just because it costs $40,000. How many people have actually experienced listening to a $40,000 amplifier.  It doesn't happen that often and usually when you do there's nothing else around to compare it to.  

I'm just saying expensive gear is absolutely ridiculous.  It's more of a head game I'm afraid. Some how if you have the money to spend, and a lot of people do, these individuals feel a lot better spending more money for something.  Now you own it, and while listening to it you will always be saying to yourself that thing cost $40,000 and somehow you'll enjoy it more.

jumia

Pursuit of the sound you want, for most people comes down to the sound you like at the price you can afford.  with an average household income in the US of 70K less elsewhere 20K amps let alone 40K amps are out of the question.  For those who can afford it buy what makes you happy.  That said:

There are providers out their like John  at Van L speakerworks or Klaus at Oddessey, and  others, who work with you to tailor the e build of thcomponent to your needs, taste and budget.  The good ones like those guys also look at the synergy of your system, providing essentially a bespoke sound. They even take your room into consideration.   Could you spend more and get what to many would be a better sound certainly, but  personally I prefer a 2K tailor made suit to a 4K big name designer off the rack.  Preference, budget and the sound (fit).

Listening music in a not-very-big-but-no-smal-room-also on a Luxman L-550, a set of Quad 2912. the turntable Denon DP-59M, Denon DL-103R and a Yamaha SACD-player S-2000, is my 'vintage' peace of cake. And I'm extremely satisfied. I think that's what it's all about. If any ones satisfaction takes a $ 40,000.- amplifier and dito high end stuf, it's should be all right with anyone. With me it certainly is. As long it's not mandatory ;-)

@jpsreno 

I agree with you on the custom built stuff by the small manufacturers, the guy I use will ask all the questions including what type of music you listen to, what type of sound you prefer, and what equipment and speakers will you be using with whatever it is you are ordering from him.

Goes back to the problem of Breakin, most very expensive amplifiers are not broken in when you buy them. It takes a while. So what your hearing at the dealer if you're lucky enough for him to have a broken in higher-end amplifier that you have an interest in comes nowhere close to what it will sound like at your home. Most purchases are on faith. Gear looks pretty and expensive so I like it and I'll buy it.

Additionally if you have a large net worth spending 40 to $50,000 is all about optics. 
I suspect most of these people buying expensive gear have no idea what it is. They trust dealers and they don't install themselves. It's too damn heavy. And then they turn it on and it sounds nice. And then they go to their other homes and may not even listen to this new system they bought for quite a while. It's just a piece of furniture in the room probably a lot cheaper than the other furniture they have.

It's like a trophy wife, you buy the gear because it makes you feel good and you want other people to see it.  And what else are these people gonna spend their money on.  Having a lot of money it's not what it's cracked up to be.