When is digital going to get the soul of music?

I have to ask this(actually, I thought I mentioned this in another thread.). It's been at least 25 years of digital. The equivalent in vinyl is 1975. I am currently listening to a pre-1975 album. It conveys the soul of music. Although digital may be more detailed, and even gives more detail than analog does(in a way), when will it convey the soul of music. This has escaped digital, as far as I can tell.
mmakshak

Showing 10 responses by robm321

Jlambrick. Digital is clearly inferior at this point.

Anyone who doesn't see that has never actually had a well set up TT, or is burrying their head in the sand.

But of course it's all subjective for those that want it to be.
My pops and clicks even sound good on my setup.

This is a tough question and one that probably is too vague "soul of music" I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No digital has sounded as transparent as vinyl to me, but others mayb prefer digital.
So it's Bill Evans that has the soul, and as long as the recording is audible wherever you play it, that's what gets to the soul of the music.
Digital has an edge that has not been overcome yet. It's hard to explain, but as much as SACD and DVD-A have improved on resolution, that digital edge is still there. When I put an LP on, it's a whole nother world.

For those that enjoy digital and don't hear this, then you get to listen the more convenient media and enjoy it without all of the little inconveniences. I still enjoy digital (redbook and SACD), but analog has a transparency and lushness that I haven't heard with digital.
Well the best argument I can think of is the fact that analog is still around. It's inconvenient, you need more components. You have to search hard for records without scratches, there's too much to go into just to get things right. CD you pop them in.

So, if digital could match it, there wouldn't be any TT's except for maybe the stuborn die hards. I hope that one day it can, so that I can stop buying record cleaner and stop replacing my cartridges.

Yes. Philnyc. I listen to his recording in my car and agree that Robert Johnson has the soul thing down no matter what you listen to him on.
TVAD and others,

My comment was a little unfair. I think it is more a matter of preference. I am far from an analog purist. I listen to CD and SACD more than analog - mostly because I don't always have the time to mess with all that is involved.

I enjoy both formats and probably overreacted. There's no sense in making blanket statements since people have different preferences.

Let me restate and say I prefer vinyl if given the choice, but definitely will continue to listen and continue to improve my CD and SACD performance.
TVAD,

If I listen to your set up, it will most likely shift my paradigm. Then when I go back to my system, it won't sound as good. So, I'm afraid to come by ;).

What state are you in TVAD?

I travel with business, so you never know.
Never I'm afraid. I'll keep my TT - SACD improves in all areas, but nothing is as "real" sounding as vinyl (studio equipment excluded).