When did you digitize your CDs and LPs? I still haven’t...

I’m a 46 year old guy who came up on LPs and cassettes, got into CDs and then stumbled into the world of online music where I’m still trying to figure out what to do.

20 years or so ago when people started getting excited about digitizing their CD collections, I never bothered. I have maybe 900-1000 CDs and the idea of having to “rip” them never appealed to me. Heck, I never even liked the word “rip” and the action seemed time consuming and boring as heck to me. Same for LPs.

These days, I still have all my obsolete media but I’m a Tidal HiFi subscriber and have come to love streaming. Still, there’s a lot I have on CD and LP that Tidal doesn’t have and I’m wondering if it’s time to step into the present and get something like an Innuos Zen Mk III so I can stream, rip, and store at least all of my CDs.

Is it time to step into the present, or will I be fine rocking my Nakamichi CDP-2A until it dies and then just buying another CD player or transport? That certainly seems less expensive these days than a fancy streamer/server/“ripper”.
pip_helix

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

OP

there is no reason why you “have” to rip your physical media and play it from a streamer.  It isn’t obsolete.  I’m not a vinyl guy, but it’s making a comeback, the turntables and amps out there are a huge step better than what you had growing up. As far as CDs,the difference between playing digits from a spinning disc vs a hard drive isn’t much.  This being an audiophile forum, you will get people arguing to the death that one sounds better than the other, but it boils down to ?which CDP vs which streamer?
   It is more of a Lifestyle issue.  With streaming you don’t have to leave the couch, and you can save space if you discard the physical stuff.  Otoh, you get all the IT issues with streaming, with streamers not being recognized by home systems, ISP throttling bandwidth, dropouts, etc.  if you are comfortable dealing with networking issues, you might think no biggie.  I am older than you, and IT issues are my biggest hassle at work.  I hate coming home and finding that all the boxes in my music system which played so nicely the day before now are in a snit and not talking with each other.  Re:   Your comments about the Node2 .  You didn’t need to buy it.
You can stream direct from a computer to a DAC that accepts USB
(you do have a DAC, right?  Check for inputs on your CDP if you don’t).
I think you are done.  I use a 2011 MacAir in one on my systems as a streamer, it’s a great use of an aged PC.  I would burn the files to hard drive with the PC and play them with the Node2, since you already have it, but if you sour on the Node the Mac&DAC will do the job