When CDs first came onto the market in 1982 .......

Everyone was "blown away" with the perceived clarity of sound.

I might be wrong (hence this post) but my recollection was the major difference between a CD and it's vinyl analog was merely volume. 

CDs were mastered with an audio stream turned up to 1.2v (?) whereas all analog recordings (vinyl, tape etc.) had been mastered using an analog audio stream of 0.8v

Is this on the money or am I mistaken ... ??

ozymandias_

Showing 1 response by akg_ca

The Jurassic era introduction of music presented on silver spinner discs had its appeal in ease of use and portability that was a welcome step-up to cassette tapes. Six disc CD changers flooded the markets and car audio. Vinyl strengths and warts continues even today.

I would not characterize the early cd audio presentation as anything close to “mind blowing” . Many recordings were comparably a step-down to early 9o’s DDD offerings discussed below and a further step-down from today’’s digital mastering.

So, because they were originally analog remastered digitally, there was a new creation that was “bright”. This “brightness” was perceived as a welcome positive result unleashed in the flood of low-fi and mid-fi audio, …. Not a positive for that era of hi-fi. Ergo, not “mind blowing” IMO.

IGNORING the impact of cheap 80’s cd player warts…. When you listen to music on CDs from the 80s, you have to realize that there are three stages to the production process: the recording, the mixing, and the final production master.

Take a look at the SPARS code on the disc in question. There are three letters - how is it recorded, how is it mixed, and how is it mastered? A or D? This is analog recorded and mixed, and digitally mastered. The first were AAD.

Most music CDs from the 80s are just like this, sliding to being ADD (analog recorded, digitally mixed and digitally mastered). It’s only in the very late 80s and 90s that we have finally have full digital that can expose every detail arguably better than vinyl, and without the surface noise in vinyl or cassette..

( The evolution of DACs is another issue excluded herein )

So, the quality of the music that you’re hearing on CD from the 80s is very highly dependent on how it was recorded, and produced.

- If it’s fully digitally recorded, chances are it’s gonna arguably be welcomed and can “impress” .

- If it’s an analog recording, but digitally mastered, then it depends on if you’re listening to 1980s grade analog to digital, or something that’s been re-mastered using modern DSP technology.

TAKEAWAY IMO

- Not “mind blowing” in any sense over quality vinyl played on high-end hi-fi of that era .

- revolutionary in utility for sure , especially in low-fi or mid-fi systems

- it progressed over time from a more forward / brighter audio presentation starting with the AAD mastering until it was fully smoothed out progressively in late 80’s or early 90’s with full digital DDD recordings.