For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by tomic601

@sbank Spencer - wow, holy ! Never heard the Doors sound better……yowsa…. writing this half way into track 1…..

@slaw I had to do same w my Traffic box set (…. argh…

Chris Isaak - Beyond the Sun ( RSD )….. nice….

War Dept LP collection curated by parents were all NG-, so ya did did good Joel

Little Feat - Electrif Lycanthrope ( RSD )…… i was like ho hum on this as i have the “ bootleg “ CD and believed it to be a sonic ripoff of an FM broadcast…

Wow, not so !,,, richly rewarding on vinyil….

Spencer - oh no another tale of USPS woe… they lost a Benz Rosewood of mine… what a torture to get the insurance $$

you guys know stuff: Maslov and Coleman collection ???? Guess I gotta get out more or hang here with y’all bad influences

Steve - what is your sense on Teaser ? I got the 50 th also… in queue to play today

Steve - me 2, just going to play it !

Tom - good on ya ;-) clean out the deadwood…make room for new….as the RM-9 looks at me with scorn from a dark closet shelf…..

Isbell / 400 Unit - Georgia Blue ( RSD ) very enjoyable…but gotta shift gears and engage w live jazz - Evensong

How fun Tim…..i feel the same way about the 240….. but not yet totally convinced…discernment is a skill…

Teaser and Firecat - lovely

Switching gears to Seattle Compline choir on King FM 98.1. This is a chant/ choir for the last of the weekly monastic services…. We try to attend in person but stream it when away…..

Trombone ? did somebody say…….starting to think you are just a mouthpiece for the top brass….My job is to be the counterweight so ya don’t go ringing the bell

Lowell George - Thanks I’ll Eat it Here, culling down to a PP and a Friday Music remaster

Joel - Sorry to miss you in the Pac NW - best of luck on the quest ;-) While i have not heard them, the cabinet work is to die for…indicates they give a rip…. good on ya and safe travels

Dave Grusin - Discovered Again - Perfect Vinyl Forever rescuced this from an overzealous grader….

Expose yourself to Art Tim !

Coleman Hawkins - and Conferes - AAP / Verve reissue on 45 rpm… i am blessed to have pressing #12…. It is startling in it’s immediacy and intimate sound…. my highest recommendation 

Brian - i have the 45 rpm version of The Three headed my way from a reputable seller from …..Ukraine…. a first for me….

Brian - it appears the 45 rpm is cut from the protection tape copy, as perhaps the 1978 release ? My 33 1/3 is a 1976. Fun. 

@karlbee just the new math of a direct to disc cut in 1975 and released in 1976, proved popular, they wore the stampers out….and….

Have you heard it ?

Crosby - If Only ( 50 th anniversary remaster ) So far…..wow… compared to my German pressing a complete layer of grunge has been removed, treble a bit more tipped, Lesh bass lines so much better articulated…nice…

The Little Willies - For the Good Times

@bslon I think you mentioned this…thx for the prompt

Dead - American Beauty

@nicks25 congrats on the cartridge! For those seeking don’t underestimate a Grace F9 w new Soundsmith stylus / etc …

it is early yet ! Ran back thru the German pressing of Crosby - certainly the speed correction helps and would tend to tip things up a bit. Overall the new release is superior and i think casts new clarity and light on what i consider a masterwork…

@nicks25 i see you have the F9 w better stylus. , i would be greatly interested in your thoughts after breaking in the Pickering

cool

always been a tube phono man… there is a worthy tee shirt in that one Brian…

Amanda McBroom - Midnite Matinee ( server ) I see AAP did an LP release…$

Bill that album in particular To Know Me is to Love Me has been an enduring reference for me over many years now… at least 40. ;-)) Sheffield did some amazing work…

The initial release is the coveted Direct to Disc, the Treasury series copy  is from the protection copy master tape. I suggest serious listeners get a six pack or 8 pack of Thelma, Grusin, Harry James and Mayorga/McBroom. All great recordings, musicians and super important in discerning what the extra step of tape leaves on the table…

Running in a fabulous gift from a great friend, audiophile and importantly music lover @mr_m . Thanks so much for the Mullard Blackburns Tim ;-) Midrange magic abounds !

Thelma ! 

the store i worked at carried the Sheffield and Windham Hill discs. They were $30 in the Eighties. I had a few enlightened customers and found my way to Thelma and beyond on my way to building out what i called the poor mans HQD system.

Monk at Carnegie playing now

Spencer - We were a Signet dealer. They had high standards on setup tools, test records, microscope, training, etc. I greatly benefited from that. I skipped a step or three and went to a Dynavector Ruby..but the Signets were loved by many.

also the Treasury series are fantastic, i don’t look down on them…just educational 

Joel what a great story - that would be a gr8 demo disc for the Apollo 12.999999 audition 

Joel - My first CES included the Drake…fond memories…. I bet you were busy !