For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by tomic601

yes, i prefer authentic...to paraphrase Oscar Wilde : I prefer to be me, everyone else is taken....

ha
@grey9hound no hijack, we keep things mostly focused on music and discuss everything but always returning to our mutual love of music....no worries from my perspective....i also am of a fan of EAR as James and Eric run them, i agree glorious warm tube tone color without being syrup overdone. I have a Herron which is $3 k new but can be found a version back right at your price point. it ( so far for me and many others ) does not reward nos tube rolling. I stop short of calling it a giant killer but it is competitive into the $6 k range. it is no Lamm or ARC ref. It is taunt, lyrical and uncolored. image depth is quite good. My other tube phono is really 2 a Music Reference RM-4 head amp paired w single chassis Croft RIAA-RS, bit warmer presentation, more tube glow and does reward tube rolling, running 1960 rca clear tops , Mullards, and in the RM-4 some cryo Russian rockets.
how much gain do ya need ?enjoy the journey.
jim
i believe brother has the Project tube phono box w Ortofon Black MC, he seems pretty happy with his vinyl rig....

some fine, fine tunes being played…. I snuck in some hard drive surfing before an upcoming zoom call….duty calls.

Man, Steve that is a pile o vinyl !

Bill - Laid Back is perfect ;-)

Back in California...

James McMurtry - Too Long in the Wasteland, agree Steve but what an emotional connection I have with this work. The liner notes include: “ Apologies to: T.S. Eliot, Tony Joe White, and Billy Gibbons”

That cracked me up...
James - I will put them on list for tomorrow:-) thx for tip. signing out....
u guys are the scene now...so many artists and bands outside my wheelhouse....logging in is always a learning experience......
Steve : OP, bought from personal collection of a record store owner as he neared retirement, he had a bin behind counter the last year and was culling his collection w specific customers in mind - always priced at mid range of premium but pristine wax and covers, my Talking Heads 77 same deal.

Brian - Yes I remember liking MSB for awhile before going off to prep skool and discovering bands beyond the Cleveburg radio scene- I don’t mean this badly just that a scene can be restrictive....
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

i hear Al is doing private shows at his home, details at his website, so says the older brother 
Funny and now ancient story, university GF rabid fan of Pat Benatar, her birthday gift - twin weekend concerts to Pat and Vladimir Ashkenazy..... “ that piano guy was pretty good “...

guest DJ nite with James and Greg at Poverty Bay Sounds, that would be fun....where did i misplace that vaccine vial ????

Newly arrived and spinning:

Dave Douglas Quintet - Be Still featuring Aoife O’ Donovan

Pressed on 180 g, cut from 24 x 96 digital master. Nice sonics.

the much delayed Shawn Colvin 45 rpm Steady On arrived from Germany today...as advertised minty...looks unplayed...

Sounds great....

I believe @slaw stimulate this buy, fun...

as i have said, best ( and maybe only ? ) real thread on Audiogon...

James - I got it from a Discogs seller Purepop115 ;-) Glad you picked it up. Very enjoyable. Something in my system is power bumping tge NAIM into shutdown / restart. PITA to tear down the nook to isolate but that is my task tommorow….no more music tonight….upside is this will get me off A to install the hospital grade Hubbels i have had sitting here for a year….

Greg i have a german pressing of Street Survivors w banned cover....it freaking rocks..
picked up a War Dept. approved box set for $1.10 today, looks and sounds unplayed:

1950 something recording released in 1963

Dvorak - Slavonic Dances - Czech Philharmonic / Karel Sejna

lovely minty pressing on Supraphon...cold war stuff...

Fun.....

Joel - Fantastic news ;-) As you know, I have listening time w both the Dr. Feickert and Kuzma 9” 4 point arm but w a Lyra…and i was very impressed. I think w Soundsmith rebuild value, you are indeed setup for a lifetime of analog bliss and joy !

IF anyone needs a loaner cart for diagnostic work or a hot spare during rebuild, let me know. When Joel is done w MP-110. Fun

Jim

Brian..amazing how even a small change can lead to a new romance with listening...

i will check out the system pages.... ;-)

Greg i think your MoFi collection is a good start on Hedge Fund status....

James - I moved the NAIM to another AC circuit, put a Tidal stream on repeat and let it rip all day, no power bumps…so it’s back in nook…will light it off soon…

this whole thread is a bank account draining rabbit hole, almost as bad as fishing....almost... Wine is worse...

JJ Cale - Rewind

buddy of mine just bought a vintage Denon, Empire 750 and an NAD phono pre, three dead rabbits...... stew shall be seved on a very slippery slope, ......... shortly

Well..it works w extension cord and el cheapo IEC, next step is isolate to outlet or the NAIM IEC power cord….fun

Boxer12... well, from my perspective a boat is just a tool for killing fish, so $$$$$$$$.

JJ Cale - Stay Around
Steve - i am working a plan for your Sockeye, but sure head West !,, first shot in the AM Monday......jazzed...
i am nurturing a nice dry rub tri-tip on the Treager out on the deck staring at the Pacific.... contemplating the eve playlist.....

?
i got an email from Amazon saying my delivery of Lloyd Tone Poet might stretch into late April, sounds like it is selling briskly James - how wonderful;-)..... i can wait.....
Dead - Built to Last ( NM Club edition ) not the last word in low end extension, but enjoyable......