For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by tomic601

Was away up North where I am mostly digital...so binging on analog today in the SUN !!!!!

Dead 45 RPM MFSL American Beauty ( as recommended there on this thread )
John Fogarty - Deja Vu all Over Again..ditto, thank you whoever posted that up...
Rachmaninoff - Symphonic dances - Oue Minnesota- Reference Recordings
Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi ....

what is next ?
@slaw...agree Reckoning is not the best work they have done, but the IMMENSE body of great stuff ( at least on digital is amazing and well done, passionate and smart !!!..one of my favorite bands.. )

Try Rarities and B sides

along with all you listed..

I bought and restored an ambisonic microphone array JUST because of the wild soundstange impression it gives ( Trinity ).... our church not as reverberant....so I am scouting...ever scouting...

all fun
@n80 Try the above mentioned Rarities, B Sides

and 

Pale Sun Crescent Moon...
@slaw yes!!! I have so far worked out this as my starting point: Nakagoka MP-110, Sumiko/Maze FT-3 , SOTA Sapphire with your My Mat, Croft RIAA - RS into my normal ref system, Wire are Cardas Clear in arm and Nordost My Blue to phono and then to line stage.....

the 110 while musical and competent is the clear weak link
speaking of Hiatt - Eclipse sessions....I have intimate venue tickets...and am VERY jazzed....

Randy Newman - Sail Away
IF there is somebody that needs this, speak up VG to VG+
@16f4 the 110 is a fantastic value.....I have one in my vintage system and it is very musical... enjoy !!!!!
This is an excellent book

in Heavy Rotation - Twenty Writers on Albums that Influenced Them ( great gestalt from the Pearl Jam obsession)

https://www.harpercollins.com/9780061579745/heavy-rotation/
and finally for this eve..

Fotheringay, ST...and the rare original UK OP...lovely..

I find Sandy Denny captivating talent... RIP...

@slaw. nice Jenny and Johnny....have to stream it thru Tidal but so far its good...

Purple Heart should be on everyones list...but 40% off Soundsmith is staggering...sorry I missed that one...
Warming things up out of stone cold unplugged !!!
even cold the carbon drivers are freaking ruthless..

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue 

what am I supposed to listen for on Central Reservations ??? Which track, etc
Right at the end of Jenny Lewis the preamp, DAC, server all shut down and the DAC displays low AC.... argh

took me a while to get things running....

took out neighborhood

i think it’s the amateur hour remodel job mid street... 1.5 years and the roof still isn’t complete...
@slaw the first cut has intentional distortion at about 2:40 ish where she sings a backing verse. The third cut has some dorky hoaky effects trying to iMO simulate high frequency scratches in vinyl ???? It and every effect I hear like that drives me nuts.....
 @stevecham trying hard to get past Bee Thousands....certainly reminds me of big chunks of mispent youth mixing sound in Ohio dive bars for a punk rockabilly band...

what is your #1 pick of the GBV litter.. ??????

BTW love this thread and Tidal....
Fantastic day of bin diving yesterday at Folk Art Records in San Diego...

so today will be clean one and listen...

first up:

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta - NM minus Holland Pressing.... six bucks 💰...so far outstanding....always loved the bass line on Voices inside my head....

Richard & Linda Thompson - Pour Down like Silver - 1983 Carthage Reissue - Europadisc Audiophile....excellent sonics and pressing quality for the most part....
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors- German OP w flames and shrink on cover....after enzyme cleaning a solid VG+

Now spinning J. J. Cale - Troubadour....deadwax reveals......
i love Flag, was listening to it recently on a cassette i made waaaaaay back.....Company Man, I will Not Lie for You, Millworker and especially Sleep Come Free Me, are all standouts !!!!!!!!
enjoy
David Crosby - If I could Only Remember My Name
German OP....mighty, mighty fine so far.....
Promo copy of Hard Promises, minty for ten bucks...

Dog has had dinner and marathon walk, settling in for round two...

Vino cracked....
Quicksilver Messenger Service - ST, original pressing..which was no doubt enjoyed w more than wine, back in the day......
Hi Steve - I have a heavy boat day today but will resisted again this eve. I am listening to a deluxe edition CD ripped bit perfect to a server. Maybe they remastered the deluxe and yes it is a bit tipped up but not silibant. I do have the magic Carbon tweeter! Ha
later in week, I will play it on Thiels in the Vintage room :-)))
I will advise !!!!!
@reubent some culling, not on order of what you underwent- I have a goal to give away half of the decent LP out of my recent 110 record Craigslist score... I try, but rarely succeed at trying to live a “ pay it forward life “... ha

and the last of the bin diving scores...
this work really IMO probably deserves a review..but there are probably many online...

Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ of the Andes, etc..

WOW

1964 recording with stellar sonics from my microphone feeds perspective and in a few places the most accurate small reverberant space piano recordings I have heard....Grant Green lends a hand. Deeply spiritual.
Fun

I have the reissue on Smithsonian Folkways, pressing looks immaculate but has a few rough spots..but overall mesmerizing..

well done..

@jamesclarke  Pink Martini is really a hoot live, especially w antics of Storm Large.....
 @slaw I shall look for that pressing..the reissue is really good - I plan to revisit it this eve....thanks for tip.
@jamesclarke don’t tell anyone, I prefer China Forbes...
IF you get to Seattle, stop by for a listen and a glass...
oh oracle of the late night vinyl spinners...

what is the thought about best SQ pressing for Aqualung ?
Not currently interested in the “ Hot Stamper “......

Otherwise ?????
 @reubent the Teskey Brothers..freaking brilliant recomendation......wow, holy S

Amazon back ordered but $12 delivered.....

ya man, 
 @oldbear stick around we need ya
my typing sucks at 57
it might be the wine...in my case
Steve - whisper of it on track 1 - Stolen Car on the deluxe edition 7/2014 ), Track 3 - Couldn’t Cause me Harm - again surfs you next to it like for example on the lyric “ lose my experience “...

I am a few days away from getting SOTA up and running and I don’t have that on vinyl...... fun bit of work tho !!!
On the subject of Wicked Game, I bought my demo pair of Vandersteen 5a after jaw dropping demo at Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica featuring that song.....
always on my system setup short list.....
Excellent article by Allison Gallagher in Industry Observer - The Teskey Brothers a DIY Success Story

” ...and getting that crunch, that analog distortion when you’re running hot into the tape machine”....

Slaw thanks, added to my Want list on Discogs

i shop local and global but I am thinking of claiming all my local record dives as dependents on my taxes..,,

Not to break a tie, what I suspect you are hearing is the compression you get naturally by pushing the tube microphone preamps and the tape deck, which is NOT the same thing as modern CD’s with global compression applied.

you can clearly hear this on a few tracks near start of album
i streamed it on Tidal
will check analog LP when I get it

i thought intentional production when I heard it... I can and have got same effect with my Royer ribbons, Fern preamps into the Revox

while there is a bit of margin, when it’s gone it goes to €£¥%# in a hurry...

fun