Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

Joel, 

Good question. 

Classic Records version was my former reference.

@big_greg,

The material came in for the dual pivot upgrade today and I have to say I’m very pleased.

I’ve noticed all along that the metal pivot riding against the metal plate could be heard on quiet records between songs. It just seemed an area ripe for improvement. I thought about using ski wax for a long time but just didn’t seem like a long term solution.

If you’re familiar, PEEK is a plastic used for the cup pressed into the 3D arm for the pivot to ride on. I found some PEEK film with an adhesive backing that is just .0002" thick. Clean the dual pivot plate then peel and stick. What could be easier?

Immediately, everything became clearer. When that happens everything else improves.

If you’re interested, I’ll send you a piece.

Steve
Mine is 1974. I love it! My first one and I can see myself buying many more. Similar to Santana with some funk/soul.....SQ =Ex
Hey @reubent,

My 33rpm album sounds fantastic. Can only imagine how the 45 rpm sounds.
I have It's A Beautiful Day on Speakers Corner. Haven't listened in a while.
Count Basie "88 Basie Street" Pablo/1984

Even stronger that the above lp.
Warmed up with "Blackbirds" from the other day.

Laura Veirs "Troubled by the Fire"

I noticed Laura has a new lp out soon and when I went to order, saw that 3 of her previous albums never before on lp were now on lp. Ordered them all......yeah, I'm a fan.
Yep, James......

I’d like to become a ’jazz guy’ I admit my lack of experience. Having said that, my Miles ’ lps bring me more joy as far as content than the Charles Lloyd did on first listen.

Now, big band/ swing, I love!
My first listen to "Love-In" was unremarkable. I'm currently giving it a deep clean. I feel like I can grow into it somewhat....maybe more. For SQ, 8 maybe? I'll get back after another listen and the deep clean.

Now the Count Basie is a whole different ball game. Love it! The dynamics, the air, the soundstage is super !
Finishing up It’s A Beautiful Day , side 2

For those of you who mentioned the possibility of searching for a better copy of this lp, my Speakers Corner was enjoyable but I'd give the SQ an 8.5. Hope that helps.
Listening to "Love - In" after a deep clean. Much better and more enjoyable. I think SQ - wise, it moved up to 8.5. The vinyl is way quieter. Even tapping my feet.
Joni Mitchell "Live at Canterbury House -1967"

This triple lp comes in a beautifully presented jacket and the vinyl looks flawless. Side one up now.
Finished 4 sides of the Joni. This was done before her first studio record. One thing I find cool is her confidence/poise in her interaction with the audience. Also, her voice sounds SO young in that interaction yet so mature when she sings.

The 3rd lp on now.
Well @spiritofradio, I wanted to make those earlier points on the Joni set in case I failed to do so later. 

I mentioned that the vinyl looked flawless and it does but it's not perfectly flat. This won't affect any cartridge from following the grooves though.

She was battling bronchitis at this time and during one of her song intros, she asked for a bottle of water....or a Coke, then you here a guitar string break. She calmly asked to have someone fix the guitar then went on to sing the next song acapella. I heard her voice affected by the bronchitis on just one song, "Little Green".

I had some doubts about this set but they fell away as I listened to it. It isn't studio SQ but it envelopes you and has the ability to make you a bigger fan or a new fan. Highly recommended!
Listening to " Born in the City" from Walter Trout sounds eerily like Gary Clark Jr.
@jbmac75,

Initially, Sarah was similar to Alison Krause. She's gone on to make a few solo lps, then trio'd up for "I'm With Her".