For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

Well "Heartbreak Pass" proved to be a much better record than I remembered. IMO, it gets progressively better from start to finish. It doesn't hurt that the SQ is really, really good. Most of Giant Sand lps are recorded at Howe Gelb's home studio to tape, so.....you can fill in the blanks.
Howe Gelb ( a Band of Gypsies) "Alegrias"  2011/Fire Records
"No Other" is just flat out a great record. IMO, everyone should have a copy. Since I don't have another lp, I can't really compare other than to say I really enjoyed this one.
allah-las "Calico Review"
@tomic601 ,

I have an extra sealed copy. Say the word and I'll send it your way.
Back from my grandson's third birthday party.
Jesse Sykes "Marble Son"
Got a few lps in this week, gonna get to some of them later.......
@tomic601,

Congrats on the record cleaner. If I may be so bold....buy a hand held steamer if for nothing else than to clean the velvet pads/lips/cleaning brush.
@uberwaltz,

It would be nice to know what your impression would be with the Chinook & a 100 ohm resistor?
www.4ad.com/releases

Just released is Gene Clark "No Other" (will be up next) re-mastered @ Abbey Road from the original master tapes. There are several versions available. I got the black vinyl. Many great players on this lp.
If you're a Lisa Hannigan fan, I believe you'll really like this record. Her songs lend themselves well, to these orchestral arrangements.
More & more, (which is a phrase probably used by people growing older), I feel a need to hear the origin of the music I enjoy now....musical roots. I recently bought the 3 lp UK box...Carl Perkins "The Sun Years" just for that reason. Up now is the 1st lp from this set.
@big_greg, @uberwaltz, @tomic601,

I know too well how much the correct resistor for any particular cartridge is, to getting an impressive sound from one’s cartridge. It’s fairly equivalent to having a cartridge aligned perfectly.

According to Eva Anna Manley, the Chinook is 95% of the Steelhead.

I’ve read through the years about the Musical Surroundings offerings and was always impressed. The main objective, for me, was no tube circuit....

Uber, Did you sell your Chinook?. I’ve always felt you moved equipment too fast. I feel there is a strong argument for keeping equipment and experimenting with all parameters until one is confident they have reached the limits of that component. You posted not too long ago that you had a friend with a protractor come over and align your, then, cartridge. Does this need to happen again? With your traveling time vs. family, vs. music, I’m sure that is not easy.

Your friendly, caring  Slaw
The 1st lp from Carl Perkins box was extremely enjoyable!
Death Cab For Cutie "Codes & Keys"
During my travels today, while listening to our local college station, they were playing some GREAT music that I'd never heard before. Very inspiring. Never was able to confer the artists. One I do remember is The Rosebuds. Up next "Loud Planes Fly Low"...by The Rosebuds.
Other than memories of system configurations and live shows, your current personal system configuration IS your reference. I’m sorry but, that doesn’t cut it my friend. While I’ve been following you, you’re system has changed more times than I can count. At some point, one should settle on a musical component that satisfies. Then build a system around that crucial system component. You have yet to do that. It seems that you’re hooked on the possibilities rather than what really matters.
Your journey is valid and fun to read but in the end leads to nowhere because there is not one, system component that you refer to. That component should be a speaker, IMO.
My brother...I care......that is why I posted this.
@uberwaltz,

That makes perfect sense...really what I was saying.

Love you, brother.
Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic" black label/ABC ...........................sounding wonderful!
@boxer12,

"Run Fast" is an incredible delight!!! I was worried goin' in that the SQ would not be very good on top of having to pay up for the vinyl. To me, it sounds analog. SQ is Very very good! But, another bonus is the content is wonderful! This band is the real deal! Looking forward to gettin' in the other lp soon. 

If you can't tell, I'm very excited!
Gill Landry is EX!

".......what bad love will do, to good people like you, and me....."
Jim,

I think you liked it as well!
My replacement Molina/Johnson is up in a bit.
BTW, I sold my MFSL Rush "PW" & Cars "S/T" Got $150.00 in my pocket for more vinyl.