What would your "perfect speaker" sound like.

What would your perfect speaker sound like. Not interested in the brand, or the a speaker you heard at a friends house or audio show This is a thought experiment. Simply conjur up the most divine sound in you mind and tell us what you are conjuring. 

Please be brief, 

sounds_real_audio

@mahgister wrote:

Good drivers and very good crossovers are not enough...

They are not even necessary if you understand acoustics, you can do with what you have for the price you had pay for ...

A good driver needn’t be hellishly expensive, that would be my main takeaway. A bad driver is mostly just that, a bad driver, and one that’s oftentimes difficult if not impossible to work around and improve upon. However, look at what the late Peter Snell did with his speakers in the early 80’s with rather cheap, yet quality drivers (Philips, Audax, Becker and others) and how he paired and measured those speakers to very tight tolerances. Implementation is paramount. Crossover components needn’t be expensive either (to a degree), but needless to say their design is vital - be that passively or actively. Of course acoustics matter, but quite frequently I find acoustic measures (not least absorption) can lead to overdamping, which is hardly ideal either - worse even, I find, than a listening room a bit too lively. Balance is key, and preference is obviously a factor. Active config. takes better advantage of both amp and driver potential - another way to more effectively harness a potential within a price range.

I will let you the "perfect speakers" at astronomical cost ...

I will keep my imperfect modified one...

The speakers to which we add creativity and acoustic knowledge is the best ... Especially mine: incredible soundfield and timbre at 150 bucks ...

High end is a mindset not a price tag, to use the extraordinary post of mikelavigne ..

One thing to keep in mind is that your attitude, which I appreciate, can as well be applied with a budget of $1,500, $15k or more, not to mention a physical framework of the speakers that’s much larger. As you imply astronomical budgets can be put to very little use, and for some reason people spending that much money on equipment typically get more leeway with regard to being considered serious in their venture, but spending more money (than very little), not least on the basis of much larger speakers, shouldn’t automatically be considered a slippery slope. Even "magical" acoustics won't transform small drivers into mean air shifters with the ease, scale and dynamics that offers. 

@mahgister wrote:

Good drivers and very good crossovers are not enough...

They are not even necessary if you understand acoustics, you can do with what you have for the price you had pay for ...

A good driver needn’t be hellishly expensive, that would be my main takeaway. A bad driver is mostly just that, a bad driver, and one that’s oftentimes difficult if not impossible to work around and improve upon. However, look at what the late Peter Snell did with his speakers in the early 80’s with rather cheap, yet quality drivers (Philips, Audax, Becker and others) and how he paired and measured those speakers to very tight tolerances. Implementation is paramount. Crossover components needn’t be expensive either (to a degree), but needless to say their design is vital - be that passively or actively. Of course acoustics matter, but quite frequently I find acoustic measures (not least absorption) can lead to overdamping, which is hardly ideal either - worse even, I find, than a listening room a bit too lively. Balance is key, and preference is obviously a factor. Active config. takes better advantage of both amp and driver potential - another way to more effectively harness a potential within a price range.

I will let you the "perfect speakers" at astronomical cost ...

I will keep my imperfect modified one...

The speakers to which we add creativity and acoustic knowledge is the best ... Especially mine: incredible soundfield and timbre at 150 bucks ...

High end is a mindset not a price tag, to use the extraordinary post of mikelavigne ..

One thing to keep in mind is that your attitude, which I appreciate, can as well be applied with a budget of $1,500, $15k or more, not to mention a physical framework of the speakers that’s much larger. As you imply astronomical budgets can be put to very little use, and for some reason people spending that much money on equipment typically get more leeway with regard to being considered serious in their venture, but spending more money (than very little), not least on the basis of much larger speakers, shouldn’t automatically be considered a slippery slope.

I never said that big speakers must be considered a money slippery slope ... I said that acoustics knowledge help us to optimize any speakers , relatively to our needs ...In this perspective there is a trade-off between speakers of any size and any types, this trade-off can be used positively or negatively accordingly to our specfic needs and acoustics knowledge ..

All your remarks are common sense anyway  and complementary to mine  and i will not contradict you...

But between very bad mediocre speakers parts, and highly refined one , there is all the majority of products between very bad and very good as my low cost modified active speakers with a redesigned porthole among other things  which now after modification ( knowing that any speakers is an Helmholtz resonators with his volume and porthole neck  ) punch way over their ridiculous low price ...

Even "magical" acoustics won't transform small drivers into mean air shifters with the ease, scale and dynamics that offers.into

And for sure my small speakers are not transformed in " big air shifters" but i dont need that in near listenings and there is way more  than "air shifting" in "magical acoustics lists of factors and concepts as you know yourself for sure...😉😊

I wish you the best year and health for you and your family in these troubled times...

Open, not boxed in. Airy, crystal clear. Rythmic, fast, with accurate separation and decay. A touch of warmth, body. Very well controlled, tight bass.