What type of Audio Gal or Guy are you? Do You Know?

Leaving this open ended for members to share their own definitions, categories and thoughts and stories.

So:  What type of Audiophile / Music Lover / Audio Gal or Guy are you?

- Can you specifically define it or do you find yourself falling within a range or multiple categories?

- What are these categories or groups?

- Was there a Eureka moment? If you have figured it out, when and how did it happen?

- Do you have any stories about things getting out of hand? Interventions? How did you rein yourself in?

- If you are not an Audiophile, how do you prefer to describe your interest in and pursuit of music and audio?

- Has "Know Thyself" helped you in your audio journey? How? 

Thanks.

***Let's Have Some Fun With This!***
david_ten
Buy Stockfisch! for great sound of enjoyable guitar-based folk-style compositions.
Loved live music from my dad playing most of the greats on the piano (gave a few concerts and practiced regularly 3 hours a day) and participated in the Wisconsin Youth Orchestra as a kid playing bassoon. The epiphany came when I heard a system that could reproduce the live experience in the Sony Center in Berlin. From that moment on I attended shows, dealer listens, read voraciously and saved until I could get what I wanted. All my friends thought I was nuts. It's a great hobby that can be enjoyed life long. I wish there were more standards being followed for high end recording and production. It is magical when you get a great piece of music recorded properly playing on a high end system. 

- Steve
I wouldn't consider myself an "audiophile" by any means.   What I am cursed by is good ears.  Yes, I said cursed.  I have friends that can't hear the difference between crap and great.  I envy them.  Would make life so much easier. I could buy inexpensive gear and be happy.  I definitely don't listen to audiophile music either.  I'm not listening for instrument placement or width of soundstage or any of the other terms used for great systems.  But unfortunately, I can hear when they are lacking.   

I also don't consider myself an audiophile because I don't think about system design constantly and I very rarely change components.  I can be happy with what I have, with one caveat.  It has to sound better than what I spent on it...from my perspective.  I know this will sound blasphemous to this group, but I went one day about 8 years ago to the Magnolia store when my A/C was broken and it was oppressively hot.  I listened to every speaker which I had an interest in and still didn't find any that I liked more than what I already had.  Successful day.

I also know how much I am willing to mess with things, which is a lot less than I ever would have imagined now that I have means to do so.  I just want to listen and have it not bug me in any way.  I go to friends' houses (where stereo listening is not the objective of the visit) and say "How can you listen to it sounding like that?  Let me do some tweaking and let me know if it sounds better.  If not, I'll put it back."  I never end up putting it back.  The sad part is they lacked both the ear and the technical ability to get even a basic system to sound as good as it could, which most of the time is still barely listenable after the tweaks.

My best friend lives in Texas, so I haven't had the opportunity to hear his system after he's made some upgrades.  But I know it sounds good as he has a good ear...and most importantly, his ear agrees with mine.  Maybe it's because we've been listening to and building systems together for so long that we have a shared agreement on what "right" is.  

I'm curious if we truly have a particular sound signature that sounds best to us innately, or if it is colored by our learning along the way.  I would ask yourself how much of the reading and listening you have done, and who you chose to believe as your mentor(s), accounts for what you feel is the way a system should present itself to the listener?  It's almost a nature vs. nurture argument and one that will be very hard to ever prove, but it interests me. 

Audio is a very slippery slope.  About 15 years ago I heard a HT system with Dynaudio towers (the 6', $50K versions) with the matching center channel powered by Sunfire amps and with Sunfire subs.  Was worth about $150K at the time.  That system completely ruined home theater for me, but in retrospect, was the best thing to have ever happened.  I realized I could never re-create what I heard that day, as I would never spend the money to make it happen.  But it felt good to know that there were halo products out there and it was nice just to have experienced them.  I love cars as well.  I don't have to own a hyper car to appreciate it's existence.  Just to see and hear them makes me happy.

Every so often things change and I feel it's time to upgrade one or more parts of my system.  About a year ago I did so after downgrading substantially to a receiver from separates a few years prior.  I never was happy with the receiver and rarely listened to music on it, but it fit where I needed it to and was simple.  Now I have separates again and a much different speaker setup and am once again satisfied.  It's not what I would want if I was concentrating on audio, but when I listen, I'm content and not annoyed.  And that is a great place to be, even if it isn't perfect.