What to do with a large collection

I have thousands of CDs and records and am looking to get rid of most of them. i can’t possibly listen to them in my remaining years and my wife doesn’t need them. CDs, it turns out, are not very viable these days, and if you want to sell them to a dealer you can only get store credit!! And, if as in my case, the collection is 90% classical, it seems they will be impossible to unload. Since CDs are antiques these days, I can’t imagine ANYONE who would want them. The only alternative I can see is the garbage. When you consider just how much of an investment they were it’s indeed a sobering realization.
Records are indeed “in,” but how desirable are classical LP’s?

Any suggestions?

128x128rvpiano

I’ve bought a lot of CDs that do and did absolutely nothing for me (I used to experiment back in the old days) but I needed to buy them in order to find the jewels that gave me hours upon hours (for years) of enjoyment. Iris Dement, Allison Krause, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Cowboy Junkies . . . just a few of the hours of enjoyment that I was able to experience for years by experimenting. So if I wasn’t able to listen anymore for the rest of my life, starting today, and they all (and there ae a lot) wound up in the recyclable bin (starting tomorrow) I still would not consider it/them a waste.

However, here’s to hoping it doesn’t go that way.

I buy cds to this day. I have a huge collection and I love it, and most likely I'll never get rid of it. Even though I do rip them and listen on portable devices, every now and again I play them on my system and I enjoy it tremendously. If you don't want/need the $ I would donate them to Goodwill or a similar local organization. Otherwise, like many suggested, if you have the time and patience for it, sell them as smaller lots online (eBay, Craigslist, etc.)

How timely! I have an editorial in the February issue of TAS—the digital edition is already available—about selling my LP collection (1800 albums, 80% classical) to make room for the installation of bunk beds for my grandkids. There’s a West Coast dealer who sells very expensive turntables to wealthy individuals who often don’t own many records and will pay top dollar for big collections. (The dealer doesn’t take a cut; he just views this as a service he provides to an exclusive clientele.) If you are so inclined, you can probably bring in more cash by selling the valuable stuff separately. But that’s a lot of work (plus reduces the attractiveness of the rest of the records) and I’ll admit that I like the idea that my lovingly curated collection is largely intact and is being enjoyed by someone else on the the other side of the globe.

If this is of interest, send me a PM and I’ll put you in contact with the dealer.

Andy Quint

Senior Writer, The Absolute Sound

Buddhism Universal Truth #1: Impermanence - Nothing lasts forever.

Rip all of your CDs to hard drive and listen to them from there.   Make sure you have at least 2 full backup copies of your music data on different devices.

Take your CDs down to the record shop, get your 10 cents on a dollar store credit and be done with it. You’ll still have all of your music at home and you’ll get a few more at the record store while you’re there. Do this and you’ll save yourself a lot of angst.

@latik  Thanks for the referral on CLZ Music.   They have an app for the Mac called Music Collector.  Very nice interface and works great.