What to ask when buying used speakers?

I have purchased used components in the past and I can do this with confidence their functionality is well defined and easily verified. I am starting to look for a new set of speakers and will consider buying used. Assuming that I am doing this over distance and will not be able to inspect or demo the speakers in person, what are some good questions to ask to determine the real state of the speakers? Any red flags? Can used speakers have incurred subtle damages or wear that will affect the sound? For the sake of discussion, let's assume that they are less than five years old so we can rule out decaying surrounds and old caps, etc.

zlone

Showing 2 responses by barry2013

I am glad the responses were helpful.

I, and I am sure other contributors will be interested in, is whether you do buy some used speakers, which ones, and how successfully.

Could you update in due course please?

Lots of good advice in the previous posts

I am in the UK and both my previous and current speakers were one ex dem and two used from a private individual near Kansas city.

Carmel 1s from a former YG distributor in Croatia and Kipod Signature Passives which are very rare but an exceptional speaker.

In both cases did a lot of due diligence first.Used Paypal for both purchases. Both were great buys at very good prices.

So yes it can be done successfully