What the Best Dac have you heard or owned. How could you tell it was that good.

I wondered what’s the best sounding dac you have heard or owned. What did it do that the others didn’t. 

calvinj

Has anyone tried the Holo Cyan 2? It seems to me that DACs are fairly overrated in terms of the difference in sound quality in a system compared to the amp, speakers or initial source. This seems like a quality product at a reasonable price rather than spending $5k - $40k to get some very small differences. 

@dz13 dac is very important. It’s your source. The rest of your system can only reproduce what starts there. 

@calvinj I beg to differ. The DAC is not your source. It converts your digital source to an analog signal. It is in the chain with the source which is your streamer or music files but it doesn't create the music or the type of file that the source comes from. 

I've tried some different DACs and while I get some differences, I've tried comparing an expensive DAC against a significantly less expensive DAC playing from the same source into the same amp/speakers and didn't find any significant difference that justified the additional outlay of expense.  

@dz13 to each his own. I disagree but you have to do what works for you in your system and setup. You have to do what suits you in your system. For you this is the case.  I understand. 

@dz13 IME the difference between a good sub $10K DAC like a Lampizator Baltic V4 and a great $25K DAC like a Lampizator Poseidon can only be realized/heard in a high-end system, so it makes no sense to invest $25K in a DAC unless each of the rest of the components that make up your system is $$$$. Ergo, folks who pronounce that there is no point period in a $25K DAC don't own a high-end system and should avoid making blanket statements about expensive hifi gear if they want to avoid sounding like the guy with the smallest *yacht at the posh Palm Beach yacht club.