What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Charles,
Yes, your statement is completely true. Additionally people must understand that Tim Smith, in writing his stellar review of the Coincident Dynamo 34se, has a different room, different speakers, different power cables, different interconnects and speaker wires, different DAC, transport, power conditioning and so forth. The bottom line though is that the wonderful Coincident Dynamo 34se will sound a bit different in each individual' room than in Tim Smiths room with his rig. What remains constant is that the Dynamo is stellar. You, the listener, can leave as is, or tweak, taylor the sound as you like or not. That is the beauty of a well-made musical tube amp. You have a choice.
Not sure if it's appropriate for me to chime in here, but here goes. As I said in my review, you really don't need to worry about burning your fingers on the tubes. I am 6 foot 6 with big hands. It's not an issue.

With regard to the Decware amp mentioned earlier in the thread, that amp seems much more versatile. You can roll all sorts of tubes including the 6L6, which I generally prefer to the EL34. And you can ask for more than one input, but at an additional cost. If you need more than one input and if you like the idea of rolling 6L6s, KT88s, etc, then go with the Decware. I haven't heard that particular Decware but I did own the little 2 watt one (the Zen?) with those Russian radio tubes / EL84 compatible. I found it to be very fast and almost too airy. I sold it after a few weeks. I was much more impressed with the Decware CSP2+ preamp/head amp, which is probably one of the very best head amps in the world. I regret selling that one. I don't think Decware has a bad product in its line. It's a class act.

Having said that, another issue to consider: the Decware look. To me it's a bit DIY. The Coincident wins on that score. Also, everything from the power cord to the RCA interconnects to the speaker wires connects on the top plate of Decware amps. It can present logistical and aesthetic problems.

But I am certainly tempted by the Decware! Lots of nice 6922s out there to be had at a reasonable price.

As for the Coincident Dynamo, I love it. I bought the review sample and frankly I am listening to music once again upstairs in my living room, where the amp rests on top of an armoire. It has replaced a $400 (including shipping charges etc) Musical Paradise MP-301 mk3. The Coincident is easily twice as good.

As for selling a Primaluna Prologue or Dialogue... well, I've done that twice to feed the habit but in retrospect those were bad choices. Primaluna is built like a tank and with the KT120 tube it is twice as good as with EL34. I sold my Primaluna to fund the purchase of a Line Magnetic amp. But that's another story!

cheers, tim
Hello Tim,
As long as you openly acknowledge your status (reviewer, dealer, manufacturer etc.) it's fine, Srajan posts here on occasion. I hope to read more of your 6 Moons reviews as they're well written, detailed and enjoyable. Your taste in music is very good and that helps to identify the character of a described component and establish context. For an example when you described Russell Malone's beautiful guitar chords ("Sweet Georgia Peach" CD) I knew exactly what you meant! The capability of a component to authentically reproduce tonal color, harmonic overtones, timbre, substain, decay is a must have for me. Jazz guitar in particular is an
excellent litmus test for me as well as vibraphone (piano is a given). Tim I believe that you'd love "Jazz In The Key Of Blue" by Jimmy Cobb and features Roy Hargrove (trumpet) and lots of beautifully played guitar from Malone.

Regarding the Line Magnetic 518ia, I've read or have heard nothing but praise for this 845 SET amplifier. If I needed more power (and I don't) the 518ia would be a major contender in my search. Fortunately the Coincident Frankenstein satisfies all of my needs. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.
Charles,
Hello Tim,
Thanks for chiming in on this thread. I agree with all of what you said about the Primaluna. But like you did, the Primaluna is going to help fund a Coincident 300B and a Coincident (CSL) 101 tube preamp for me, as well as new speakers, one of Coincident, Devore, Line Magnetic 755 field coil, Daedalus, something like that. The money from the Primaluna might go for some tubes or wires. It won't stretch very far. The Dynamo 34se will stay in my office system. It makes me very happy.

Again, really glad to read your further thoughts. Other writers for Internet and audio mags often enough chime in on the A'gon. Your review on the Dynamo was really thorough thanks much.