What's going on with the used audio gear market?

OK, maybe I am unrealistic but I've bought and sold audio gear for the past 25 years off and on for my personal use  as I change out or upgrade.  It seems that a reasonable expectation is around 50% of MSRP or somewhere close. That has been what I've always sold for and bought for. Now I see stuff priced at 80-90% of MSRP. I am talking about things that are not really statement products and can be a few years old and they want 80%.  I just don't get it, this stuff for the most part depreciates rather quickly due to the advancement of technology. Is this a hold over from the Covid Inflation effect on supply and demand? I guess that supply and demand will eventually sort it out. 

128x128fthompson251

@hilde45   Exactly right, if someone will pay the price, it's not greed.    We're not talking about food or gas, but an extreme luxury product that has a narrow range of buyers.    Why not ask as much as someone is willing to pay?

The market sets the price, if you are an outlier then it will sit unsold.  Nothing magical, nefarious, just supply and demand. 

+1 testpilot If they can get their asking price well good for them even if it is high. As you move up in the price range and the item is fairly new I can see asking more than 50%. I see ads for gear that is less than a year old that are asking more than 50% retail and I don’t blame them. For example ,let’s say you purchased a pair of speakers for $30K and after a few months you realize that they just aren’t working for you. If you sell them at 50% off retail you are taking a pretty substantial hit and someone is getting a pretty good buy.