What replacement cartridge for BSR Quanta 400?

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Supratek Chenin preamp, and am looking to tune up my old BSR Quanta 400 turntable while I wait. I eventually plan to get a VPI TT, but until then, the BSR will have to do. It's in great shape, since I've been out of vinyl since the mid-80s (I know, shame on me!), and it's been in storage, but I think I'll replace the drive belt, and upgrade the stock cartridge (the one it had when I bought it way back in the late 70's). I can't wait to hear vinyl sounds coming from my Zu Druids. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding an appropriate replacement cartridge. I'm looking for something that's very good, but not out of line for the quality of the BSR. Thanks in advance.
ait
More info. The stock cartridge is an ADC QLM32MkIII, definitely a budget cartridge. Is a Moving Coil cartridge like the Denon 130 or 130R out of the question for this TT?
i would go with a quality mm like grado(gold) or high output mc sumiko bluepoint 2.
Post removed 
The Supratek preamp will be fine with a low output cartridge, it is designed for them. With that in mind, would you still recommend the high output?
I think that you are WAY over-estimating the capabilities of the BSR and wanting to spend too much on a cartridge for this arm. Having said that, i would second Viridian's recommendation of the Ortofon Super OM-10 or Super OM-20.

If you were to start off with the Super OM-10, which would probably be a good bet, you can easily upgrade the performance of the cartridge / phono system by replacing the stylus with that of the Super OM-30 at a later date. Ortofon was smart in setting these cartridges up this way, allowing one to minimize their initial investment and upgrade gradually should they feel the need.

Using this approach, you can get started with playing vinyl. It also keeps your costs down at this point in time. You can put the money that you saved towards a better vinyl rig. On top of this, you'll have plenty of time to decide whether or not your like the basic Ortofon OM sound enough to upgrade in that line or go elsewhere. This approach also takes into account that you may end up with a different tonearm that is better suited for a lower output / higher mass cartridge. Sean
>
Dear Ait: I agree with Viridian. The BSR tonearm " likes " a high compliance cartridge, the 103 is a low compliance one and it is not the best match.

You could go for the Ortofon, Audio Technica, Empire and maybe a Grado. You don't have to go for an entry MM cartridge you could buy a good one that you can use it ( too ) when you up-grade your TT/tonearm, in this way you could enjoy the music today and tomorrow.

The MM cartridges are really good and many of them outperform the MC counterparts and in many ways compete " bis a bis " with the best MC ones.

Btw, right now you can buy through e-bay a remote control for your BSR TT: take a look.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Ait: Goldring and Shure could be very good options, too.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with the Ortofon Super OM 40 ($239.00 at Jack's Music Factory).
Post removed 
Ait-
Whatever you choose, keep an eye on the output voltage. the Chenin has a very flexible gain structure, but I would stay away from high output carts. Anything at 2.5 mV or up will overload the phono stage and result in a disappointing experience. I would avoid MM's altogether as Mick voices the phono stage for MC. It can drive even the lowest output MCs, but seems to function best in the .25 - .8mV range. If you are looking for a temporary solution, look for a used Dynavector 20X (low or high output). It's considered to be a "medium" compliance cart, and even the high output version is within the tolerance of the gain settings on the Chenin. IMHO an MM, any MM, with the Chenin would be a mistake.
Well now I'm totally confused. I've heard that MM is preferable for the BSR, but MC is needed for the Chenin. I guess I will keep looking at MC's - what I gather is that I need one with medium to high compliance, and output in the .25 - .8mV range.
OK, what about the Grado Statement Platinum? It is an MI type, not MC, but the output is 0.5mV (right in the Chenin's optimum range), it is fairly high compliance (20 CU), it is affordable ($300), it has an elliptical stylus, and it has gotten very good reviews. Sounds like a good fit considering I really don't want to buy a megabuck MC cartridge for this turntable.
Post removed 
OK. Based on the fact that it seems like the best bang-for-the-buck at $259.00, it is a true MC design, it has the correct compliance and an elliptical stylus, and the few reviews I've found have been good, I'm going with the Denon 301 MK 2 cartridge. Thanks to all who have helped me here, I've really learned a lot in the last 2 days!