What Power Cords for Rel S510 Subs?

I’m considering a pair of Rel S510s to go with my Diablo 300 and B&W 802 D2’s. I’ve invested quite a bit in cabling: Audioquest Dragon for my amp, Hurricanes for my source equipment, and Nordost Valhalla 2 for my speaker wire. I can clearly hear the difference between a Hurricane and a Dragon cord when powering my amp. The Dragon puts space and air around vocals and instruments with front to back depth.

There is no way I can afford anything better than two 3m Hurricanes for the Rel S510’s but my question is, how much do power cords matter for subs? Sadly for my wallet, I’ve found that higher grade cords do make a considerable difference for all my other components, verified through blind tests. Not as much as speaker cables, but still a big difference.

I also have a Innuos network isolation switch and also an Innuos USB reclocker, to support my Innuos Zenith Mk 3 streamer.

Does power cord quality matter less with subs than with everything else?

For the record I’ve seen other threads on this subject, with what seems to be consensus that power cords don’t matter with subs, but I was hoping others who, like me, appreciate the difference a top tier power cord can make, can comment on whether there truly is no benefit to using one when it comes to subs. Has anyone compared a Hurricane grade (or better) cord with a stock cord, connected to a high end sub?

nyev

Showing 9 responses by vonhelmholtz

I only have experience with Shunyata.  I use the Everest power conditioner with a 20Amp Sigma power cable to a Shunyata outlet and Sigma NR to components, but Venom NR to a pair of RELS/812s.  My RELs cross around 25Hz, so they only do very lowest octave duty.  The real key to this system is the momentary 30Amps that the Everest can supply to each of six outlets and the NR ..noise reduction power cords.  All interconnects, including speaker cable is from Audioquest.  So, subs get a good cable, but not one of the bests.

My speakers are Sabrina X and I currently have Venom. They will be replaced tomorrow with Venom NR. The contribution from my subs are intentionally limited. If I raise the volume, or crossover point, the Sabrinas get a bit muddy. Honestly, I never removed the REL power cables from their plastic bag. I just started building this system a few months ago, so for me I have other $ priorities..like a much higher end phono preamp. I won’t be putting more money into my subs. PM me and I can connect you with my salesperson that can usually provide 60 day in home returns, plus good pricing and you can do the A/B yourself. All my interconnect are AQ.. BTW..The power conditioner was the most critical component in my system.  Room treatment equally critical.

My primary speakers were not really lacking anything, but with the RELs when I play The Doors, Cantate Domino, or many jazz pieces, the reproduction is fuller with more impact. My room isn’t that large..12.5x23x10 and the room is on the second floor, so I had big problems with bass/cartridge interaction. After nine large bass traps, I finally managed to get this mostly under control. I have a four shelf 3" Tiger Maple equipment stand coming and I hope this, along with the 108 pd integrated amp will take care of any remaining bass issues.

Definiately don't spend less than $10,000 on power cords for your RELs.

Anything less and you'll be wasting your money as you won't hear any difference.

Have you used high end power cables and listened to see if it makes a difference?  Personally, I don't think that subwoofers are a good place to start.  Is your prejudice against changing out power cords due to experience, or intellectual prejudice?

And the farmer hauled another load away….

Cheers 

Looking at some of your previous posts it seems that all you can do is tear people down and make childish remarks.   I hope you find some success in your own life so that you don't have to tear others down to feel better.

Truth is 14 gauge ( lamp cord style ) will do the job as well as 90% of the crap out there. And it doesn’t matter what anyone tells ya…that’s why there’s such a massive market of junk out there all pining for your bucks.

A A/C Power cord at the end of a chain changes the tone of your system what kind of magic beans crap is that…? 

Which is it?

So, why doesn’t 14 ga lamp cord work as well as 100% of what is out there?

Ok..listening to my new favorite artist/recording, "Dreams and Daggers", featuring the absolutely amazing Cecile McLorin Salvant..a 15 on a scale of 10.

Great bass..texture, nuance, dynamic..and yes..my upgrade from Venom to Venom NR improved the clarity/speed..of the bass and I think the NR helped clear up the mid frequencies..which I didn’t realize that they needed greater clarity..What an album..I’m purchasing a second copy and putting it away.

I compared cables but stayed within one brand, Shunyata for power and Audioquest for everything else.  Not 100% done.