What other obsessions do you have?

It's obvious that many of the people here have gone off the deep end (yes I include myself) with equipment and music purchases.

The question is what other obsessions do you have, or what else are you really into?

I was getting carried away with Martial Arts before an injury sidelined me, I would rather ride my motorcycle than drive, and I spend way too much time on the computer (most of it on AudiogoN). If I had the money I would have a bigger and better collection of wine. Other than that I'm perfectly sane! NO really!!!
uppermidfi
OK, I read through all the responses to the thread now and I now I really dont get where Gullahisland is coming up with "braggarts and snobs"?!

On a more interesting note perhaps; Seems like the most popular other obsessions are led by wine and other alcohols of distinction. Also quite popular are cars/motorcycles, fishing, dogs, photography and bicycles. A few folks are interested in their families/wives as well. Snobbery didn't even make anyone's response.....well, except for Gullahislands.

Marco

PS Another interesting point to consider is that alcohol actually impairs the senses, including the sense of hearing. That said, I certainly enjoy my red wine, though would not say it was among my obsessions.
I happen to find some of the posts here quite refreshing. Specially those from people that dont take themselves so seriously and can poke fun at themselves and others...
Upon further review, I wish to apologize for casting the net so widely. The bulk of the posts were decidedly benign.

To answer your questions Jax2, it's not the subject of the thread that I objected to. Quite the contrary. I really get a kick out of learning what other common interests we share. I've enjoyed such threads as "What does the typical audiophile drive" as well as "Who R U?".

My issue was with the way some people use this forum as a platform for posturing and ego-stroking.

Again, I my comments were unwarranted and inappropriate as they were directed at the group as a whole and I apologize.

There were, however, a few gems that I'd like use to illustrate my point. If you still can't see it, Jax2, then let's just agree to disagree.

Here they are:

..."just ordered the 36 foot fast trawler from Rockport Yachts (www.rockportyachts.com). Anyone want to buy a Robinhood 33 downeast poweryacht?"

..."Bicycling (am having a Seven Cycles titanium bicycle built to order w/Campy Chorus groupo-$5000)."

..."the girlfriend and I are about to spend a week in Santiago, Chile tasting Cabs. Mircrobrewed beers - hmm, three out of four obsessions so far are alcoholic...

...Then there's my main passion - which is, of course, passion itself. The girlfriend and I won't be spending all our time in Chile touring wineries..."

..."Fine Wine - 100 cases in long term storage."

And finally, from my own post - ..."I stayed away from this thread for the past several days assuming that it would just be a bunch of self-absorbed braggarts and snobs engaged in a "mine is bigger than yours" pissing contest."

See. There weren't nearly as many overt boasts as I had indicated and I apologize for casting aspersions on the bulk of you.

Final thought - I still fail to see the John Holmes/Donkey humor, but obviously well-hung donkeys hold a special place in Jax2s heart. And who am I to take that away from him?

I believe we've gleaned some insight into the significance of your moniker, JaxASS! :-0
Gads Gullahisland - You are a harsh judge of people indeed! Sorry, but I fail to see the posts you mentioned as any more than rather simple, and perhaps enthusiastic responses that answer the question posed, and in doing so give a peek into the lives of those answering. The question was about other obsessions we might have, so it does not surprise me in the least that folks are proud of what they value in their lives and devote their time and energies to. Part of the fun of the thread is that you may find many have similar interests as you. Getting into more detail is just a way of connecting with others who may have similar interests or might identify with the level at which they pursue this other obsession. At least that's how I saw it. None of those posts brought out the same reaction in me as it did from you, so I guess we do agree to disagree.

I'll let you have the last word where equine-genitalia is concerned and not torture anyone with more of the same.

Marco
Gullahisland.

I guess I can see your point, from my standpoint, I feel we all need to appreciate that many of us DO spend ridiculous money on our hobby/hobbies. As for the Seven cycles from Timo....I've conacted him and urged him to upgrade some things..... I won't say what my bike ran, but I can tell you it can run at 50+ mph and that to me is worth all the world!