What makes speaker's sound big?

Does a speaker need to have many drivers or a large driver area to sound big and fill the room?
I am asking this question because I have a pair of tekton design double impact and would like to replace them with smaller speakers and a pair of subwoofer's to better integrate the bass into my room.
I just borrowed a set of B&W 702S. The are good but the just don't make that floor to ceiling sound that I like.
Maybe I have already answered my own question (: But again I have not heard all the speakers out there.
My room measure 15x19' and the ceiling goes from 7.5 to 12.8'

martin-andersen

Showing 1 response by deep_333

Big sound.....
- Big speakers like the double impact (say no to bookshelf dinkies)
- Concentrics if set up right since they can produce deep immersive holographic soundstages
- dual subwoofers
- Lots of wood diffusion panels on front and back walls
- If you are not a 2 channel purist, set up a atmos/dts 5.2.2 system with front heights or 5.2.4 system (front and rear height speakers). Front heights should be atleast 2 to 3 ft above your fronts and 2 to 3 ft outside of front speakers. The big giant orchestra and humongous immersive 3D soundstages will show up in your lil room. Some very smart guys declared a while ago that 2 speakers (stereo) are not sufficient to replicate the acoustics of large venues and they were absolutely right. Science will give you big sound!!