What is your take on high efficient speakers vs. low efficient speakers?

Consider both designs are done right and your other equipment is well matched with the speakers.  Do you have any preference when it comes to sound quality?  Is it matter of economic decision when it comes to price? - power amps can become very expensive when power goes up, on the other hand large,  efficient speakers are expensive as well.  Is your decision based on room size?  I'd love to hear from you on the subject. 

128x128tannoy56

Showing 5 responses by tomic601

transducer distortion…. faithfulness to the input…. everything is is just flavors….

charles1dad

9,288 posts

y’all understand distortion counts as output..in the overly simplistic efficiency measurement…. right ?

Overly simplistic? Nah , I think people recognize that it is just providing a generalization of the lower power demands of higher sensitivity speakers. People get that. Very little distortion concerns if a 5 watt amp is only providing fractions of 1watt of power at desired SPLs. Well within the low watt amplifier’s sweet spot.

Charles

Ralph - while i respect your experience, you are certainly not the only audio designer deeply involved in hearing , recording, and evaluating the playback of the original acoustic event in order to evaluate efforts…. 

best to you in our chase for better

@charles1dad it is not the amplifier distortion…. take another run at it…. with equal moving mass and motor a pistonic cone has lower output…..why is that ?

y’all understand distortion counts as output..in the overly simplistic efficiency measurement…. right ?