What is the science behind audiophile fuses?

There were many threads on the topic of "audiophile fuses" on this forum, and I sure don't want to open old wounds and trench warfare. The fuse on my preamp blew suddenly two days ago, which prompted me to search for a replacement. That's when I came across the term "audiophile fuse" and the fact that they demand far-out prices. Deeper curiosity brought me to several other fora, where users posted glowing praises about their Zero fuses and other exotica. Now I am a scientist, but not a physicist or electrical engineer: so please enlighten me! How can a fuse have an audible influence on the signal, when the signal does not even pass through it? How can a fuse be "directional" when it deals with alternate current? I mean, if I recall my university physics, a fuse is basically a safety valve and nothing more. Am I completely missing an important point here? My scientific field is drug discovery, and because of this background I am thoroughly familiar with the power and reality of the placebo effect. I that's what I am seeing here, or is it real physics? I need objective facts and not opinions, please. I really appreciate your help!

128x128reimarc

I had a buddy in high school that ran the movie projector at our local drive in movie theater.  (Ca. 1974). He let me in the projection shack to watch him work once.  He had a large motor that drove a DC generator.  He first cleaned up the commutator with some sandpaper wrapped around a wood stick.  Then he mounted a carbon rod in the projector, started the screw drive and turned on the power.  That was cool stuff.  The carbon rod, I think could last one reel which was about an hour.  He had two projectors and both were required to show one complete movie.  

2nd story:  In Ag class in high school we were rebuilding the engine on an old Oliver tractor.  It used a magneto ignition and had a crank on the front as backup for starting the engine.  The engine was torn down but the block and crank were still mounted in the tractor with the magneto.  So as a right of passage, each one of us had to hold on to a spark plug wire while someone spun the crank.  And the faster you can crank the stronger the magneto pulse.  We had one large kid who could hold onto the spark plug wire no matter how fast someone would spin the crank.  He just stood there saying, “he he he.”  Scary guy.  

@reimarc , it depends on the design of your component. If you note that a fuse is in the signal path of a low feedback design, etc, it could potentially cause a very minor audible change... 

If the fuse is not in the signal path or if you may have even the slightest hint of hearing loss, etc, don't waste your time on stuff like this..

@reimarc 

Fuses like any other connector work on transfer with least loss. Everyone already knew that one, right? Then I see people jumping off a dead battery expecting a few hundred (peak) amps to transfer through the .03 square inches of contact surface by way of the teeth on the clamps. 

Materials and their design for wiring will make a difference and is perceived by some and not by others. (A big discussion here, often).

F1 drivers feel a difference in a single psi in one tire, but I don't feel it in my Tundra.

Does that mean it Can't make a difference because I couldn't tell?

Lots of Baloney in this hobby creates many questioning of some of these products, but closing your mind, (not you, your question shows your open minded), but many  say product or design X CANNOT make a difference. 

The original "it can't make a difference" people are still cooking over a campfire just outside their cave.