What is the most difficult component to upgrade

I haven't had much difficulty determining an upgrade path
for the components of my system EXCEPT for my preamp.
I have heard many. I have heard differences. But not
anything that says "I am the one". For other components,
I do not have the same problem.

Wondering where others have encountered an impasse in their
upgrade strategy.
judit

Showing 2 responses by tok20000

I find Speakers are ultimately the hardest component to upgrade.

Why is this the case?
Because speakers vary more in presentation than perhaps any other component. They are the only piece that converts energy into a different form in a pure digital setup (a cartridge does do it as well in an analogue setup).

I try to keep speakers as long as possible, and build a system around them. Some speakers are easier to get to sound good than others. Some are hard loads to drive, others are easy loads. Some need power becasue they are not sensitive, some are way sensitive and need less than 1 watt of power for good volume output.

In any case, the greatest system with one set of speakers may not be near the greatest system with another.

Peace.

KF
Preamps can make a HUGE difference in a system. Many audio people have told me that a systems sonic signature is many times most determined by the preamplification. I have had digital preamplification, passive preamplification, active SS preamplification, active tube premplification, and preamplification built into a DAC/CDP. All have their plusses and minuses. ALL sound very different, having their own general sonic attributes. And this is not even considereing the great differences in the sounds of the different brands of preamps in each category.

Long ago it used to seem silly to me to spend money on preamps. How much difference could they make? My first preamps were passive. Very inexpensive and in theory were supposed to sound good... Well I moved onto an active preamp (Morrison ELAD), a very nice piece for its price that offered a lot more detail than the passive pieces. Then I moved onto digital and finally to tube active. Anyway, the differences can be STAGGERING if your other components are as high of quality (in transparency) or higher than the preamp you are using.

My 2C

KF