What is Technics thinking?

Lots has been said, both pro and con, about the new Technics turntable.  Description here -

http://www.sl1200gae.info/about

Some are excited about the potential, given the upgrades since their last production table/arm, the venerable SL-12XX series.  Others see it simply as an excuse to raise the price significantly of the 1200s.

In my view they shot themselves in the foot.  They copied the model number of their best selling table (I can only imagine in the hope the familiarity will carry over) and also ended up with a very similar appearance.  Given the information on all the upgrades over their prior model, the similarities make it appear like something less than what it might be.

Technics had a room at THE Show Newport and that was my first chance to see a SL-1200GAE.  The fit and finish appeared to be very good but it did look like a "polished up" SL-12XX.  I ask the Technics rep why they didn't do more to distinguish this as a new model, given their efforts with engineer upgrades.  He said he could understand my question but then really didn't offer a reasonable explanation.  After describing all the components which had been redesigned/upgraded from the prior model he offered a demo.  However the room was crowded and the remainder of the system was completely unfamiliar, so no fair impression could be made.

I believe it should have had a more unique model designation and more might have been done to the physical package so it didn't look so much like the prior model.

pryso
I frankly don't care what it does or doesn't do. This is what has been reported by others and the subsequent mods they have done to correct it.

Now if they would have improved upon its look they might have hooked me. I also feel I would preferred leaving the tone arm choice up to me.

To those interested there is an interesting article discussing how Abbey Road Studios was so impressed with the table that they have installed them in their mastering studios.

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/abbey-road-technics-sl-1200-turntables/
Agreed .... $4000 is a bargain. Can't imagine any other manufacturer producing this table for under $10k. Easily one of the most significant audio products released in many years. Bravo Technics.

As in all things audio, where some see beauty others see moles. 

My question is, "What is it that Timestep identifies with the drive that led them to such radical mods?" 

You can read their whites papers on line, and they convey a strong rational, albeit, I don't have the knowledge or instruments to verify their findings. Are they full of it, or is there really a mole on the Mona Lisa? 

Maybe it is a matter of excellence being the enemy of the very good.

The mods are nothing more than a switch from a SMPS to a linear PS  and a tone arm swap. I personally would not swap the arm for a SME even if I felt like it needed to be swapped. I feel the arm is more than capable and that's after listening to my Kuzma 4 Point/Anna on my Mk3 right behind my GAE. 

This mod will have nothing and I mean nothing to do with cogging as this motor has no iron core and thus no magnetic hysteresis regardless of TimeSteps marketing. They also state that it takes a "haze" away from the table. If you want to sharpen the sound of the table, lose the stock rubber mat and replace the feet with "TrackAudio" feet or something non-springy. I have mine on inexpensive wooden blocks for now and I find it to sound less lush but tighter and more accurate overall. 

Now, as a person who hates SMPS I will admit that a linear supply would be desirable to me ONLY because I don't like how SMPS's (regardless of the product) affect my systems sound. I usually go so far as to unplug my plasma tv, routers, hard drives..,etc when doing serious listening. 

This is an easy mod to perform, I could easily open the unit and solder 2 wires to the circuit board and connect to one of my variable linear regulated lab power supplies which can supply up to 25 amps. 
I do this with some of my iFi gear. 

This ain't rocket science.