What Is So Special About Harbeth?

SLike probably all of you, I just received notice from Audiogon of a 20% discount on Harbeth XD. I clicked on the tab and found that the sale price is about $2700. I have read so many glowing comments here about Harbeth — as if just saying the name is the password for entering aural nirvana. I admit, I haven’t listened to Harbeth speakers. But looking at these, they just look like smallish bookshelf speakers. I’m not questioning how good others say these speakers are, but HOW do they do it out of an ordinary-looking box?

Is it the wood? Is it the bracing? Is it the crossover components? Is it the cone material? What is the reason why these Harbeth’s are such gems compared to other bookshelf speakers? What is it about the construction or technology that makes these speakers a deal at $2700 on sale versus the $800, 900 or $1,000 that others normally cost? What is the secret that makes audiophiles thrill to get such a costly bargain?

bob540

Showing 5 responses by bob540

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.  I don’t think I will be purchasing any Harbeth until after I have had a chance to hear them.  I was just wondering what all the fuss is about — won’t know until I listen!

@goofyfoot That is a good point — the cost of manufacture in England versus a low-wage country, and the impact that has on price.  

As for listening to Harbeth, the only local high-end audio retailer specializes in big projects, like wiring houses for complete audio-video systems, though they probably carry some individual speakers.  I feel a bit uncomfortable going there just to hear the equipment with no plans to purchase.  Might just bite my lip and go in. 

Thanks again for the responses. Obviously, there are differing opinions on the Harbeth “sound”. I see repeated comments that the pairing of Harbeth’s with the right electronics is key. Hegel in particular was recommended. I wonder how Harbeth’s would sound when paired with my Parasound A21 amp and Schiit Freya+ preamp? Would the purchase of Harbeth necessitate replacing my amp and pre to gain the full benefit? . . . can get expensive.

I received an e-mail from The Music Room offering a 60 day trial period with the model of my choice. I am tempted to give it a try, though not sure I even want to spend that kind of money just now.

My own tastes run more to mellow music that Harbeth’s are noted to excel at.  I rock out in my car or via headphones while working out at the gym.  Gotta give these things a listen. 

Never heard of Quested — I wonder what the chances are that anyone near me carries them?

I would especially like to hear the Harbeth 40.2.  But at $20,000 for a pair, there is next to no chance I would ever own them — not unless I win the Lotto!