What is everyone using for dedicated AC lines???

I need to buy some dedicated AC cable.

What is everyone using? Romex?

I want the best performance, I will tear out the cable when I leave the house. If its not up to code, oh well, I'd rather have better performance anyways.

I thought about 10/3 Romex for the amp and 12/3 for the CD/Preamp.

What do you think?

Please, no arguements over this I need to buy cable ASAP!
asi_tek
Wow this thread is taking off, here's my take.

I just bought a "new" old house (with a view of course) :^)

I currently have a 100-amp service. I'm going to change that to 200 amps real soon.

Then I'm going to take out the existing sub panel (Approx 50 feet away) and upgrade it to a 40-space 200-amp sub panel.

I'll run a 2" conduit between the service and the sub-panel.

Then I'm going to pull two new hots, one Neutral (4/0 THHN cu rated for 200amps) a dirty ground and an Isolated ground.

I'll set both panels up with isolated ground bars, add a ground rod, replace the ground clamp at the water main, and run new bare copper continuous to both the ground rod and water main.

Then I'm going to tie the water and gas together with a jumper and two ground clamps, this I will do at the H/W/H for convenience and yes it is legal in CA.

After rewiring the new 200-amp sub panel I'm going to add another 100-amp sub panel on the other side of the house near my listening room (approx 150' away)

I will run a 1-1/4" conduit from the 200-amp sub to the 100-amp sub-sub. Then I'm going to size the wire for 120 amps (THHN cu) but only install a 100-amp breaker.

I will add another isolated ground bar at this panel.

Then I'll take six dedicated 20-amp circuits (#12 THHN Stranded) up to my listening room. Each with it's own neutral plus one isolated ground and one dirty ground. I may add a drain wire too (That's an idea Albert gave me awhile back that I found intriguing)

I'll be using industrial grade Hubbell I.G. 20 amp receptacles (Ground up of course) at my gear. That should get things rolling in the AC tweak department wouldn't you say.

OH, and yes I am an electrician and personally "Bang for the buck" this is as good as it gets IMO.
Glen: If you don't mind me asking, what is the second 200 amp sub-panel for ? If i read this right, you'll have a 200 amp main feeding a 200 amp sub-panel feeding a 100 amp sub-panel. The 200 amp main would appear to be for the whole house and you mention using the 100 amp sub-panel at / near your audio system. Where does the second 200 amp panel come into play in all of this ? Sean
>
Dedicated 100A subpanel for theater room. All equipment on one leg, lights, utility outlets, etc. on the other leg. Standard to code 12-2 Romex for 20A ciruits. PS Audio Power Ports for PreAmp, Amp, and CD player, hospital grade isolated ground for the balance.
Last Summer I had my homes 40 year old 100 amp main upgraded to 200 amps. A 100 amp sub-panel was added for my 2 channel audio room with 8 dedicated 20 amp circuits. Glen's construction methods and material suggestions as listed above were applied. My City signed off the electrical permit with no problems. Now my tubed monoblocks with Avalon speakers wrap their dynamic sound around me like never before. Glen has great knowledge of electrical as applied to our audio hobby.
Thanks KT88, I'll paypal you $20.00 right away :^). I've been wanting to come over and here those new speakers by the way.

Sean - The first 200amp main is just a breaker at the meter nothing else.