What is an excellent power cable?

Looking for a high quality power cable. Anyone recommend anything? Also, is a quality power distributor important as well? 
xenon
Hi @xenon - I agree, the choices are daunting, and there is no shortage of opinions but it's very hard to apply them to one's specific situation. When I'm reviewing gear it's only more complicated as I have to try so many different permutation of components and cables and figure out how to sort this all out for the reader. I'll try to comment on a few things as a starting point.

I generally agree with the comments on Pangea not being very good. I have one of the newer ones, I think $80, and it has only ranged from pretty bad to okay on the components I've tried (integrated amps and DACs). You can do much better.

I have not tried Signal Cable but they make a quality cord at a great price, and many people like it. If you want a starting point, that seems like a safe one without blowing too much money.

My go-to that sounds at least very good in pretty much every situation I put it in, and at its best is superb, is the Audience powerChord. I have a short post about it on my blog, but it is incredibly consistent and versatile. It accomplishes a primary goal of freeing up whatever it is feeding (I call it "unkinking the garden hose") so the music can breath, without messing anything up. If I had to recommend one cord to anyone, no doubt this would be it. Tubes, solid state, amps, DACs, you name it - it has never let me down. The latest SE-i is out of your budget ($900) but you might be able to find an older used model for well under $500. I have a bunch of the older ones and they are great.

The other wrinkle here is that John McDonald of Audience has just sent me his new entry level cord, the Forte. I haven't plugged it in yet but it looks very nice and retails for under $300. He's very proud of it and thinks it will be a go-to cord for many people. I will report back on my blog/Facebook after I get a chance to give it a listen, but it seems very promising. (If I sound like an Audience fanboy, it's because they make really consistently musical wire at relatively sane prices, and consistent musicality and value are both key for me.)

FYI I also have two cables from DH Labs, the $850 one and the $100 one. Reviews are in progress (the $100 one was sent with a EU plug so I need to request a new sample).

Feel free to PM or message me on Facebook if I can help.

Cheers,
Marc
http://taww.co
http://fb.com/audiophileww
What are you putting the cord on, and what are you trying to achieve?

I like the Silent Source Signature used under $500. Not a huge drop from the Music Reference, and good in most applications.

For $500 new the Synergistic Research UHF Black 10 gauge is really good on an amp.