What is a good turntable preamp under $500?

I am dipping my toes in analog and want to upgrade my turntable preamp for a second system. I currently have a cheap Cambridge Audio preamp that I think cost just over $100. I am using a Pioneer Elite receiver. At the time I just wanted to see if I could get my old Gerrard turntable up and running. Sound is pretty mediocre. Would I notice much difference if I went up to to something $300-$500. I have a high end digital system in my main rig. I don’t need to go to that level but would like to improve it some. Any you would recommend?

128x128bwguy

Showing 5 responses by bwguy

Yes, the turntable is very old.  So, based on crustcoot’s comment, would I be better off getting an upgraded turntable first before upgrading the preamp?  I have been all digital for many, many years and my turntable is from the Stone Age😁.  Just want to get a decent analog system for a second system.

ah so sorry…..It is a Yamaha PF 20.  I don’t know why I thought it was a Gerrard.  I did have a Gerrard at one point in my life.

What do you think of their intro model, the Planar 1and  the Planar 1 plus, which has. Built in preamp?

Yes, I meant to type MM. The Grado is a low level cartridge, I think it is called Prestige Black. Again, I know this equipment is considered lo-fi, but my original intention was just to see if I could get my turntable up and running. I have a Classe SSP in my main rig, but it only has one analog input, which I am using for my Lumin streamer. Hence the reason I am using the Pioneer receiver in a second configuration for the turntable. I have no intention of trying to get to the level of my digital system, but was hoping to find out the first step to improve it ( turntable, cartridge, or preamp).