What is $5,000 worth today, and is it better than 1,600 in the 80's?

Hey Everyone,
So I found this nifty inflation calculator:
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
So today if you spent $5k on a piece of gear, it's the equivalent of around $1,600 in 1980.

What do you all think. Is gear better or worse?  Does your modern day $5k buy you more or less gear than $1,600 did in 1980?

Erik
erik_squires

Showing 1 response by lalitk

“Based on how much we have deviated from discussion of audio, I must conclude that I am correct in all of the points below:
  • Class D is the only high end audio amplifier topology left.
  • Power cables don’t matter
  • Speaker driver counts should be a prime number”.

Erik...hate to break it you but all of above can only be taken as your opinions not facts. How did you go from what is worth $5k today to above conclusions?

IME,

- All Class D amps I’ve listened and compared so far still sound dry and unmusical. The only exception would be GaN Tube Class D based amps. For you to conclude Class D as only high end amplifier topology is clearly driven by your methodology of price to performance ratio. A class D amp made from off the shelf parts is hardly qualifies as ‘high end topology’. Let’s give credit where it’s due, they are best suited for Home Theater applications only.
- Power cables as well as signal cables in any two channel audio system matters. I don’t want to start another war on this subject. So whatever floats your boat, a lamp cord from Home Depot or a DIY cable from parts connexion ...let’s leave it at that.
- Speaker driver counts, again there are no absolutes here. It all depends on speaker design. I have used speakers with multiple drivers as well as single driver. It just comes down to personal preferences and one’s budget.