What happened to all the highend stereo shops

What happened to high end stereo shops I mean real high-end stereo shops. I am 78, my father bought me my first stereo when I was 12, I have been hooked ever since. I remember the days when you can go to a nice audio store and not just audition what they had in the store but if you saw a couple of tuners, preamps or some cables that you liked, you could give them a blank check and take the equipment home to audition on your system. Bring one or both back Pay for what you want to keep or get your check back. I don’t understand how someone can buy an expensive piece of audio equipment and not audition it in their system first. Many places today, you buy it and your stuck with it. OH yes you can sell it on Audiogon or eBay. Reviewers are nice and give good reviews but the problem I have is the equipment they are auditioning  is on their system in their treated music room which is going to be different than what you have. 

If you can read this message, Thank a Teacher. 

If you are reading it in English, Thank a Veteran

128x128thefile

In Bloomington MN we have a high end audio store. I auditioned in a private room for an hour, treated like a king. He asked what system I had, about the room and speakers, my expectations for sound. About what I liked to hear, type of music. There sat 50k a pair speakers. I asked for something else more like my rather bright speakers. He connected paradyme $4500 / pair. I took home an integrated and on my system it sounded great. Nothing but a wonderful experience and top notch customer service.

I attended Axpona 2023 in April, and the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center where Axpona was being held had so many people at the show that the hotel had to constantly run a fleet of shuttle buses between the Convention Center and several outlying parking lots because their main parking area was overflowing. Although there were plenty of middle-aged and older people there, I also saw quite a few younger people.

Once people who’ve grown up accustomed to hearing their music over smartphones and BlueTooth earbuds get a chance to hear what really good sound is like, they may find themselves, like anyone who’s blessed with good hearing, WANTING to explore and learn more about this new-to-them world of quality audio. Furthermore, with a little research anyone can now put together a decent audio setup and stay within their budget, even if today’s reality with brick-and-mortar audio dealers requires that most of us must now shop for our gear, unseen and unheard, over the Internet.

There are trustable reviewers out there covering most if not all of today’s better-known brands such as Denafrips, Schiit Audio, Holo Audio, Gustard, plus numerous other brands in every category from streamers and DACs to amplifiers and headphones/speakers, not to mention all their interconnects. There is enough decent audio gear to satisfy nearly everyone’s income bracket. I think it was no accident that there were so many people in every age group attending this year’s Axpona event. Quality audio seems to me to be alive and well.

It's a rough time for all brick and mortar retail. Small boutique shops that specialize/focus on the best stuff available in any area of interest have all but disappeared. Fine butcher shops, delis, bakeries, lumber yards, woodworking shops, electronic supplies...you can't even buy a nice suit in most towns these days.

I think it has much to do with the reduced size and relative lack of wealth of the middle class compared to the 70's and 80's...when many of us got our audio start. It was easier to splurge once in awhile. You could pay for your car in 24 to 36mos, your phone bill was $20, and student debt was minimal. (Tuition at the best public universities was $500/semester!)

The wealthy are much better off today and many more can afford a $100k system. I'd guess the total dollars being spent on high end may be a record...but the total units have declined. It takes fewer dealers to sell fewer units. The wealthy always had the finest things delivered or by appointment. Twas the the splurges of the middle class that paid the store rent.

That said, I can sit in my chair and watch Miles Davis play full concerts from just about every year he performed on YouTube. Or listen to every recording he ever made. On demand.  If it's about the music, there's never been a better time to be a fan. And IPods sound betta than the average all in one record changer in 1972.

weird moderation for sure. The crazy dude's ranting stayed for the most part, and my response removed. 😂

The marketing of products is horrible. No good explanation of what the products do and why. Most of the salesman, and there are exceptions, don’t understand the products they are selling. If you’re able to read product descriptions and understand all they’re saying, you are a rare breed indeed.

Further, many of the higher end products are just not available in the store to see. And it’s very geographically dependent. AB testing is not done very effectively aside from the lack of availability of many products. Which makes sense as each Store is pretty much required to buy anything they show you.

It’s an awful business to be in, and requires someone who truly is dedicated to the craft and not necessarily interested in making a lot of money. The true craftsman who sell hi-fi products, if you're lucky to live near one, are really really nice people and you can learn a lot from them.