What do you say to your audiophile friends who say you just listen to your equipment more

Than your music. I have my retort but let me hear yours. Not everybody understands us. Thanks. 
128x128blueranger
@mahler123"Great sound enhances the appreciation of great music.  The gear is a means to an end, not an end in itself."

Well said!!!

Many years ago... I just listened to the music.  Then I discovered what potential was out there, and fell into the rabbit hole.

I'm climbing back out now... with exception of a few minor tweaks yet needed... and am back to listening mostly to the music instead of the equipment.  The plus of that is... I have regained my sanity.

My only major complaint left is... sometimes when I'm busy around the house, I like to go old school and listen to FM broadcasts. The SQ of most stations suck nowadays... with their highly compressed and over processed mp3s.  I truely miss the old fashioned analog broadcasting methods.  Seems anybody with a playlist and a microphone can be a radio DJ these days.

@jndean 

I reflect your sentiments... except for retirement. But I am looking forward to that.
A number of years back... a few of my friends and I used to get together for "card night" once a week.

We would rotate houses... and when it came to my turn to host... the others would start looking through my vinyl collection and making requests.

They would even wait patiently as I flipped or swapped a record... enjoying the system not just for the music... but for how good it sounded. No one ever tired of it.

Sometimes music is enjoyed more... and sounds better... when shared in good company. It removes the critiquing and analytical equipment listening one tends to do when alone.
Most of my audiophile friends are mostly music lovers first.  Sure they enjoy my system and I enjoy theirs but its about the music for us and we have an appreciation for a wide variety of music.  I just don't care for Gregorian Chants, Rap and Hip-Hop and neither do my friends.  I particularly enjoy many types and eras of classical and jazz, my wife enjoys more modern rock from the 70s to the 90s than I do.   With a good hi-end system, one can enjoy all types of music recorded since the acoustic recording era.  Hearing 78s (nominal speed) on a great system is listening to direct discs much like listening to music on good horn speakers.