What capacitor would you use to upgrade Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary?

I’m going to swap out the generic 6.8uF cap on the tweeter side of the crossover. Wharfedale was very supportive and sent a schematic.

Note: If you have opinions that gear shouldn’t be modified I’m not interested. I can easily swap things in and out seamlessly. Also, my view is that manufacturers have much slimmer margins than we might think. Having built stuff and modified stuff, we experience first hand the choices that engineers and bean counters must make. My sense is that the Linton can be elevated further because of this. And, capacitor swaps can be more influential (and yes, good or bad) than swapping power cords/cables.

The Linton doesn’t do anything wrong. Some might say it’s a sinner of omission? It’s overall smooth, non-fatiguing, and can really keep singing as you push power at it. I wouldn’t mind a touch more air and definition on top--without losing the smoothness.

• Jantzen Superior Z-Caps?
  • Clarity?
  • Obligato? Man, these are reasonably priced.
  • Auricap? Another smooth, reasonably priced cap.
  • I’d love to try Audyn True Copper Max or VCAPs but that would be pretty pricey.

I’d prefer not to break the bank, which is the problem. I haven’t set a budget or priority for this project. 6.8uF values can get very pricey. So, I suppose it should be kept to less than or equal to $100 per cap. I could be persuaded to do more. :)

Any thoughts?

Calling Erik Squires! @eriksquires ! I know you have some intel here Sir!

All suggestions on caps welcome!

Thanks all!
128x128jbhiller
Being a former tweaker who used to mod gear, by cap upgrades and etc. I’d leave your Whafedale’s alone. Not to bust on your Marantz receiver, but you may find out by tweaking your speakers they will reveal the shortcomings of your receiver. What’s is your Marantz? I’d have to study the crossover of your Lintons, but how are you sure you shouldn’t tackle the inductors first as that’s where manufacturers cut corners before the caps. Caps for the most part are cheap compared to the inductors. 
Probably get more bang for your buck by buying some decent Hubbell hospital grade receptacles and upgrading the power cable on your Marantz and source components... assuming you haven’t already. If you have your Marantz plugged into a computer or less power surge suppressor, plug it directly into the wall as that will be the best tweak for no money you can do. Are you using the Linton stands? Not sure how the speakers are coupled to the stands, but if they’re just sitting there, use three squares of bluetak per speaker. Good luck and have fun.
Hey adg101,  I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I should've noted that when I say the Lintons got "stuck" hooked to that Marantz it's only because they sounded so great together in a media room. I put the upgrade on hold because the Lintons are serving that duty too well. 

I have a dedicated listening space with Cornwall IVs so I don't need the Lintons in that space any longer.  But if I do move the Lintons to a dedicated listening space at some point, it is then that I'd upgrade them. 

By the way, I have fed the Lintons with the following other more legitimate amps: 

• Primaluna Dialogue HP
  • Creek EVO 100
  • NAD Masters M22
  • Bob Carver Crimson 275
  • Music Hall Mambo Class A
The Lintons sounded wonderful with each of them. I was, however, a bit taken with how great they sounded with that inexpensive Marantz receiver.  
@jbhiller,

May I request you to share the Linton crossover schematic with me and the rest, so we could benefit from your correspondence with Wharfedale?

I am in touch with Mike at HEADQuarter Audio, Cologne, Germany and there is also a thread here (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/linton-crossover-upgrade.85749/#post-961789); both of which could benefit from the circuit diagram. Thank you.
Hello everyone, this might be my first forum post but I often exchange PMs and emails with forum members...so just incase I need to introduce myself, this is me, DK, the guy behind computer typing this message and putting a period right here.

Now refer to this link for a screenshot of the elusive Linton schematic as provided by Mofi (the vinyl record people)...they are the distributor for Wharfedale in US and provide technical support (for now).  Also shown is my actual crossover with labels:

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/linton-crossover-upgrade.85749/#post-961789

The drawing I received was version 14 and I do not have any info about earlier or later versions or why any particular changes were made...WYSIWYG.

Note, there may be differences between the schematic and the values on your own crossover.

For example, my C11 is 80uf vs 68uf on schematic. There could be other differences but I would need to desolder the crossover and measure all components...I'm not ready to do that yet.

For the sake of being able to directly compare the schematic with the actual parts, I put labels that show the schematic values. I did my best to ensure nothing is mislabeled but I can't guarantee it without performing full surgery.

So what am I waiting for? I'm trying to first educate myself on how a crossover works to determine why Wharfedale designed the Linton crossover in the way they did...only then would I want to move forward.

For example, this crossover seems more complicated than it needs to be and I wonder if Wharfy is spoiling the circuit to prevent the Linton (usd$1500) from competing directly with the Elysian 2 (usd$7000), or does the crossover really need to be designed this way to produce the desired sound, or is it both???

DK