what can reasonably be expected of a seller?

Let's get the obvious out of the way.  If the seller posts the item "as-is" & "untested" then that's that and you get what you get.  Right?  But if neither of these is indicated and the item is listed as practically new or unused or immaculate....  or has been in ideal storage for years, then is it perfectly reasonable to ask the seller about functionality, to request the seller test the item to confirm proper functioning?  If the price is really good, is it reasonable to ask about functionality?    I've had 2 situations lately where this has come up.   In the first instance, the seller was willing to accommodate and I did pay for the item and was awaiting confirmation that the item worked properly but was unexpectedly told that he sold to another who didn't need confirmation and my money was refunded.  And in the second instance, I asked the seller to connect the cdp he was selling to a system to confirm that if worked properly as it could be a decade old and had "probably" never been used.  He responded that he wasn't connecting it to anything and didn't have time to sit and play it and that it was already packed.   So, am I just being unreasonable and expecting to much?  What do you think is reasonable?  Thanks.
lcherepkai

Showing 2 responses by jahatl513

tweak1- 
 I hate to contradict your thoughts but you are 180 degrees on the other side of my belief as both a seller of high dollar mid market equipment and as a buyer. If you provide the pick up slip and there is an issue; then you have the broken, now junk, and have to chase insurance. You in effect have taken the problem of a seller and taken it on yourself. If it is broke, the seller has no power to chase the insurance if you provide the slip, therefore he/she is indemnified as you took away the sellers responsibility. If the seller pays and it arrives broke; its his/her problem and all you get is your money back. 
Your expectation is not unrealistic from a buyers perspective, however you were spared another miserable problem when he sold it to another with lower expectations. Unless you can yourself fix something; move on. On your second scenario, be glad again. Sellers like this who claim no system to connect to, may not be lying but, and here is the lesson. Buy from sellers who know, and have means to state CLEARLY. Now, just because someone says "No Returns" does not mean you can not return it if there is a reasonable expectation that it is as described. I say that because you often see ads saying, "Works Great", never tested myself and from there less obvious statements ensue. AG is not immune to it but far better than the Eb... store ads. Buy from people who know, with clear communication, not hard line BS, and good reputations. Always, the item is not truly yours until the delivery is made with out broken parts, otherwise some sellers try and say you bought it the minute you paid and I'm not responsible for shipping issues. They are responsible for them since they paid for the label even if it were with your money. The seller must know immediately and the seller must chase the shipper for insurance. Good luck!