What are your top 5 Billboard top 10 songs of the 1970"s?

As many agree the 1970’s had the best pop music of any recorded era, I thought it would be very interesting to see what Audiogon members have to say about this. I know 5 is tough but I did not want to make this post too long winded. As always I appreciate your time and selections. My top 5 are...

#1 Baker Street-Gerry Rafferty 1978 #2
#2 Summer Breeze-Seals & Crofts. 1972 #6
#3 American Pie-Don Mclean. 1972 #1
#4 Ricki Don’t Lose That Number. 1974 #4
#5 Miracles-Jefferson Starship. 1975 #3

Yes there are many great songs I could have placed here but this is my list for 8/18/21. Look forward to your responses!
dayglow

Showing 3 responses by dayglow

Miracles has great vocals. musicianship and intensity all in a ballad what's not to like? I was 10 years old when Miracles was released so It might be easier(for me) to view the Airplane and Starship as different great bands. "Ricki Don't Lose That Number" was originally performed by Steely Dan(forgot to type band name) as if anyone on Audiogon does not know(lol)!
So far thx for all the replies. Since this thread is going off track might need to again clarify what qualifies. Billboard awarded 252 #1 songs of the 1970's. In 1970 alone 38 songs hit #1 and 97 songs hit the top 10. If that is any indication of the average then close to 1000 songs hit the Billboard top 10 during the decade. Let's try to get back on track, posting on Audiogon deserves high standards!

+1 kb67 and +1 winnardt

Great posts! Smiling Faces Sometimes-Undisputed Truth one of the great R&B/Pop(#3 1971) singles of the 1970"s. Great Take on American Pie! Regardless of how many times played or analyzed that does not diminish its greatness.