What are we objectivists missing?

I have been following (with much amusement) various threads about cables and tweaks where some claim "game changing improvements" and other claim "no difference".  My take is that if you can hear a difference, there must be some difference.  If a device or cable or whatever measures exactly the same it should sound exactly the same.  So what are your opinions on what those differences might be and what are we NOT measuring that would define those differences?

jtucker

Objectivists are just subjectivists calling out nonsense objective claims made by some subjectivists. 

We're not missing anything. When I listen to a $99 DAC with a SINAD of 123, then switch to a $100 DAC with a SINAD of 122, I rest easy at night knowing that the $99 DAC is superior in every possible way in the universe.  Then I rush back online to see if that dreamy Amir has given one of my comments an upvote.

Subjectivists do have things going for them.

They do help to keep a lot of people in jobs for one.

Secondly they also help keep the used market thriving as they flit from one brand to another.

I should know, I was one.

For a while it was fun ride, but in the end it got tiring.

Audio for audiophiles is like golf for golf enthusiasts.  If you think there's a problem someone is willing to sell you a solution.  If you don't know there's a problem, someone is willing to invent one - and sell you the solution.  People have fun with either pastime attempting to invent perfection for themselves - which they'll never achieve but that's all part of the challenge.