What are the advantages of electrostatic versus floor speakers w/wo external drivers?

Are electrostatics considered the next level with a corresponding price bump, or just an alternative technology?

I've had floor standing speakers with tweeters and midranges on top of the box and others with all drivers inside it and found the only difference in listener positioning if you are right in between the speakers changing a record, the speakers with internal drivers are missing something.

The electrostatics I'ver heard have had sub woofers, which I guess would require an extra amp and crossover, and for a big enough room may be an ideal option. They seem to have a bigger, more open and detailed sound, but that may have been caused by the room size.

Just planning for the future....
sokogear

Showing 1 response by cd318

tweak1,

I suspect you’re right. I’ve yet to hear any electrostatics that sounded balanced. Some things were very good, open airy and expansive mids, but some very bad, bass balance, dynamics and timing.

Even the original Quad ESL57s didn’t work out for me, but maybe I didn’t know how to get the best out of them. I’d still like to hear some Magnepans or Martin Logan’s though.

As for box speakers, there does seem to be a discernible ceiling on performance with them. Most have bandwidth/ resonance/ crossover / dispersion / drive unit integration problems etc.

I feel that most of these issues are down to the way the bass is interacting with everything else. As you say, most of the cost goes into keeping the cabinet inert so that it doesn’t interfere.

On the other hand I’ve not heard the KEF Blades, B&W 803s or any of the almost universally well regarded Revel range.

When you read so many good things about Revel speakers it almost sets up an impossible ideal for them to match up to when you finally get to hear them.

Open baffles also seem to have the same problem as electrostatics in one regard - domestic acceptability. Probably explains why box speakers remain the norm despite their box issues which the other two don’t have.