Wattage 4 or 8 ohms?

Question.

If your speakers are a 4 ohm load with "X" rms, do you go by the amps wattage in 8 ohm or 4 ohms?

Thank you,

Kevin
128x128thegoldenear
I drive my Thiel CS6's with a Pass Labs X350. I has a power rating at 4 ohms impedance of 700 w/ch. My speakers have a listed max power rating of 500 watts, but when talking to the manufacturer, they were ok with that.

It's all about quality and quantity.8^)
Tonywinsc, Jim Thiel has told me himself that (at least with his older models) that his power recommendations are based on standard 8 Ohm amp ratings, and the assumption that the customer is choosing high quality ss amps that are capable of "doubling down". With your CS6's minimum impedance of 2.4 Ohms, I suspect your Thiels could handle well over your available 700 Watts into 4 Ohms. With that said, I'm sure your system sounds fine.
Hello,
What to do if I have speakes with 6 Ohm impedance, but amp has only 4 or 8 ohms output options? What should I choose?

Thanks
Dmitry....

You may detect a sonic difference between the two taps, depending on the design of the speakers and your ears/expectations. You should try both taps and simply pick the one that sounds best to you playing the music you enjoy hearing. You won't damage anything by doing so.

Sometimes folks find that the 4 ohm taps can produce a more solid bass, some that the 8 ohm taps can produce better highs, but it all depends on how your speakers impedence curve matchs the amps output impedence. Speaker and amp impedence values are not fixed at anything as absolute as 4 ohms and 8 ohms. Those a just nominal numbers.
so after reading everyones comments "I" believe maybe i should up my power because "I" believe that maybe just maybe my Thiels will open up a bit more if I do 200 watts into 8 ohms. But thats also under the theory that in order to hear a difference I would need to double my current output, view my systems and you will see what i am talking about or in other words.

the followings numbers "wattage" are the points of difference:

50 100 200 400 800 - basically oh i have 100, oh i have 150 so then that means i am louder is that true, i believe not, i believe the next level of DB improvement would be 200 for the example given. Is that correct or no?