Was 1971 the high point of popular music?

All these albums were released in 1971.

"Imagine" by John Lennon

"Sticky Fingers" by Rolling Stones

"Blue" by Joni Mitchell

"Meddle" by Pink Floyd

"There's a Riot Going On" by Sly & The Family Stone

"Fragile" by Yes

"The Yes Album" by Yes

"Killer" by Alice Cooper

"Ram" by Paul McCartney

"Live at the Filmore East" by Allman Bros. Band

"Who's Next" by The Who

"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye

"Hunky Dory" by David Bowie

"Aqualung" by Jethro Tull

"Master of Reality" by Black Sabbath

"Songs of Love and Hate" by Leonard Cohen

"Shaft" by Isaac Hayes

"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart

"Madman Across The Water" by Elton John

"LA Woman" by The Doors

"Led Zeppelin IV" by Led Zeppelin

"Tapestry" by Carole King

"Pearl" by Janis Joplin

"Live-Evil" by Miles Davis

" Journey in Satchidananda" by Alice Coltrane

"Teaser and teh Firecat" by Cat Stevens

"Deuce" by Rory Gallagher

"Santana III" by Santana

"Weather Report" by Weather Report

"Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison

"Surfs Up" by The Beach Boys

"John Prine" by John Prine

"Wild Life" by Wings

"Where I'm Coming From" by Stevie Wonder

128x128tony1954

I am 75 and was into music from the age of 15 in 1963.  For me music evolved, as did my tastes.  I remember watching a good deal of live jazz in the mid 60s, then discovered blues, both early, then the rock blues based bands.  It was a terrific time that also included blue grass.  The late 60s resonated greatly with me and  there was so much great music that it could make you poor buying albums.

I somehow managed season tickets to the Pittsburgh Symphony with Andre Previn conducting in the 70s.  All that said, 1971 rates particularly high in my memory of great years for music.  Probably due to my one and only time sweing Suane Allman live.  My absolute favorite artist in my long history of seeing live music.

I forgot one more:

NRPS New Riders of the Purple Sage.  One of the best that year!

With all due respect, what about every Steely Dan album from 1972-1980? There will never be a ‘ band’ like them. They are what musicians listen to. After all why would they listen to something they could do ? If you’re unaware of SD and you’re open to music that is accessible and sophisticated you’ll be rewarded handsomely. 

No. Reason being is that Philly was only just getting started..

Plus Stevie’s all time best album, Songs in the Key of Life didn’t even come out until 1976. 

Both Motown and Philly put out tons of top selling music after ‘71. And Disco didn’t even begin until ‘74. The Bee Gees album Saturday Night Fever sold 25 Million albums between 1977-1980, and was one of the biggest selling in history. 

And Earth Wind & Fire didn’t even start selling top albums until 1972. :)

Thanks for the topic, tony1954

Born in 1946, having perpetual music, live and recorded, in the house, the 1950's included c&w, crooners, jazz large and small, folk, r&b, rock, movie themes and varied sub-genres.  That's reaching pretty high. 

1950s Rock and Roll: A Decade of Music That Changed the World (rollingstone.com)

My theory is that EXCESSIVE drug use was damaging overall to popular music into the 1970's, choosing to explore other genres during much of this time.  Of course, there WAS great music created during this stretch, however, I found pop too inconsistent.  

As music lovers, yes, our birth year greatly affects our preferences...and we can debate deep into the night...hopefully while flipping Ray Charles early 1950's jazz mono vinyl.        More Peace     Pin    (bold print for old eyes)