Was 1971 the high point of popular music?

All these albums were released in 1971.

"Imagine" by John Lennon

"Sticky Fingers" by Rolling Stones

"Blue" by Joni Mitchell

"Meddle" by Pink Floyd

"There's a Riot Going On" by Sly & The Family Stone

"Fragile" by Yes

"The Yes Album" by Yes

"Killer" by Alice Cooper

"Ram" by Paul McCartney

"Live at the Filmore East" by Allman Bros. Band

"Who's Next" by The Who

"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye

"Hunky Dory" by David Bowie

"Aqualung" by Jethro Tull

"Master of Reality" by Black Sabbath

"Songs of Love and Hate" by Leonard Cohen

"Shaft" by Isaac Hayes

"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart

"Madman Across The Water" by Elton John

"LA Woman" by The Doors

"Led Zeppelin IV" by Led Zeppelin

"Tapestry" by Carole King

"Pearl" by Janis Joplin

"Live-Evil" by Miles Davis

" Journey in Satchidananda" by Alice Coltrane

"Teaser and teh Firecat" by Cat Stevens

"Deuce" by Rory Gallagher

"Santana III" by Santana

"Weather Report" by Weather Report

"Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison

"Surfs Up" by The Beach Boys

"John Prine" by John Prine

"Wild Life" by Wings

"Where I'm Coming From" by Stevie Wonder

128x128tony1954

Showing 2 responses by markmoskow

'71 maybe. By end of 1972, it was all over. I was 18, bought The Jimi Hendrix Experience in 8th grade, and I think the last rock record I bought was as a freshman in college, Dark Side of the Moon. That's about as far as it went I think.  5 years. A massive creative output by a hundred or so bands all tolled. Not too many people realize that in those days you could hear everything. Every release made it to the shelves and there not that many each month. And between your friends and you, if you bought records, you basically knew what was out there. By '69 FM radio was the third leg. OLh yes, I did buy Blood on the Tracks, friends bought the next stuff, Springsteen, Al Steward, later Fleetwood Mac, later Bowie, but it had run its course.

@moonwatcher @tony1954 A lot of people I've met over the years moved on around 1972, or even earlier. some got interested in old blues records, others in appalachian or country, perhaps led there by a lot of the rock albums they began to realize were inspired by music that had come before. Others found jazz. We never gave up our love for the 67-72 music, and when stuff came long later that we'd like, we'd still buy in, whether it was dire Straits, Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, and a long list. a lot of it has to to do with how old you were in your mid-teens and explored your own interest. I have younger friends who swear by 1979--that it all happened then. A few years ago I was reminded about how much all the music i grew up with meant to me and made a series about it called It Was the Music, featuring a lot of the people from that time. But when i look back, even most of the jazz records I bought was music made in the mid-60s and early 70s. Just a productive time in the arts (film, books as well) on a lot of fronts. So, let's hear from all those 1979 folks or later!