Wanting to upgrade my streaming sound quality.

I would really like to get my streaming sq up to my analog sq. My equipment is a McIntosh MC 452, C47, TD 124 with an AT 150 SA on a SME M2-9 tone arm, a Rega P8 with an Alpheta 3, a restored MR 74 tuner, driving Aerial 7t speakers. My streaming now is an iPad with a usb cable into my preamp with Tidal. I would be willing to spend around $2500 . A one box solution would be preferable for a steamer/dac combo although two boxes could also work. I’m not interested in multiple clocks and separate power supplies etc. Also I don’t use CD’s for a source.  I do have AT&T fiber internet with up to 1000 mb speed and my modem is only around 5 feet from my audio rack. Balanced inputs is preferable but not a deal breaker. I’ve looked at the HiFi Rose 250 and the 150 although the latter is more money than I want to spend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m an Analog guy in a digital world.

Greg

128x128gphill

I am gobsmacked at how good this sounds. Everyone of the MQA or master songs I’ve listened to on Tidal is as good or better than my best albums. The imaging, soundstage and tonal quality is just amazing. I saw the reviews on line that praised this unit and its every bit as good as they say. I will say that I have gotten a bit of buffering over the course of 9 or 10 hours of playing. I hope this is fixable. I may email Rose and see if this is a problem.

I never imagined digital could be this good.

Gobsmacked is good, especially if you can assess an in depth opinion while being so! Thanks for confirming sound stage, imaging, and playback of MQA on how playback compares to best vinyls. These among other features 150 has my sights on the 150 for sure. Maybe I missed it but are you using the XLR connections? Also curious if you’re using the wired Ethernet connection? May help with buffering as I was told by my ISP.

Hopefully soon you will get all working seamlessly and it just becomes as reliable and predictable as a CD player or turntable. It should be. Also, operating from your iPad and creating a library of stuff you like is mandatory. If this is not true soon. Think of changing. 

Living in the streaming world is much different than in the world of collecting vinyl or CDs. I seldom listen to stuff I listened to in my vinyl or CDs any more. You can get lost in nearly infinite music. You need to easily find the stuff you like… and writing it down would not be an acceptable solution. So, hopefully it sounds fantastic and you can comfortably move around.

Also, start up your free month with Qobuz. By the end or the month you will drop Tidal. I did… and all my audiophile friends. 

I’m using the balanced outputs and an Ethernet cable direct into my router. I just downloaded the Qobuz app and will give that a try in the coming days. Streaming does lead to music you’ve never heard before. Just play one song and you get a bunch, that Tidal in my case, recommends for you. 

I thought my streaming before was decent using my iPad through the dac in my preamp but this is a huge improvement. Over the years I’ve made upgrades and changes that helped or didn’t help the sound of my system but other than changing from my old ADS L810 speakers to my Aerial 7t’s, nothing has made this kind of difference. I’m not a very good writer or reviewer of audio gear but this change will have me playing a lot less records.