Want to setup basic home audio system

As the title states, I am looking for advice on the main components required to get a basic home audio system going for under 1k. When I do get to save more money, I am open to add more into the system. For now, what are the basic components of a home audio system that I mainly need to focus on right now? I am not looking to get a home theater setup. ONNLY LOOKING TO GET HOME AUDIO SYSTEM FOR MUSIC
diripio
Well, If you are willing to up your budget to $1500 and are willing to buy used/dealer demo you have greater options. I agree it is best to identify speakers 1st. Then find a integrated amp which compliments. That said when cost is a concern it is best to look for speakers that can be driven by a 50-100wpc, 4ohm capable amplifier to loudness levels desired within the size of room where system is to be placed. With that in mind, should the right amplifier be identified you might wish to purchase it. 

Given you have a system in place you can afford to take your time, take advantage of deals as they come available and piece together a great system over time. Enjoy each improvement as it comes.

Regarding cables, I would purchase Canare 4S11 speaker cables. Great value, ~$1.50/foot. Purchase others used or discounted. 

I use a MacBook Pro as a source for my secondary system. Many amplifiers, speakers, and DACs have rotated within over the last few years. Currently I am using it with a Yamaha A-s701 via the 701's internal DAC driving a pair of B&W 685s. Both bought used via Audiogon. The 701 lacks a USB input, however I own a USB/SPDIF converter. The Yamaha A-s801 has USB input in addition to coax and optical. Though I mention Yamaha, it isn't the only brand to consider. I think the A-sxxx line is good value. I am also a fan of the NAD C xxx BEE integrateds. Back to speakers,  I may try a pair of Wharfedale Lintons should a used pair come up for sale one day.

Enjoy your search and keep us posted.  
Consider:

• (Used) Yamaha A-S701 Integrated amp - $500
  • (Used) Klipsch rp-600m speakers - $400
  • (Used) Chromecast Audio streamer - $50
  • Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables - $80

Chromecast will connect to the A-S701 optical input.

You can play local files (and streaming services) from your laptop or phone via the chromecast (wireless). Chromecast also has blue tooth as well.

The A-S701 has the same amp section as the 801. Read the 801 reviews - highly regarded at it’s price.

The Klipsch speakers are considered an excellent value as well.

Later on, you could add a sub, a bluesound node 2i, an external dac, upgrade cables, etc.

Good luck! So many options, and many good recommendations here.