Wall outlets

Hey everyone, don’t kill me I know it’s been talked about a bit. I’m am currently about to upgrade my wall outlet. Commercial vs Audio outlets. The general consensus is commercial hospital outlets would work but they can strip the coating off our nice power cables. I have talked a bit with @audphile1 on this matter. Furutech has my attention. I have considered upgrading my power cable to the Furutech DPS 4.1 cable and get a Furutech outlet with the same finish. A friend of mine is an electrician and has offered to install a new outlet behind my rack. He said I could pay with a case of beer. Haha. Sorry if I started a new 🔥🔥🔥. The forum is fun, there is far more knowledge here than we are going to find anywhere else IMO. Also I finally got my virtual system up for anyone to take a look. Thanks everyone

shtr74sims

Showing 7 responses by mc1969

Hospital grade is the worst, simply means that the outlet is resistant to moisture and chemicals used for disinfecting and cleaning hospital floors and walls. Most have anti corrosive coatings that are not great conductors.

@ghdprentice Electricity has no sound. Waste your money how you like. As PT Barnum said.. 

You are saying that hospital grade sounds worse than 89 cent (or whatever it is now) Home Depot cheap duplex receptacle?

@ghdprentice when I installed my 5 lines in my listening space I did an experiment. Installed a Leviton 8300-R 20 Amp, Hospital Grade. Installed a standard HD .99 cent outlet, installed Monosaudio 20 Amp Audio outlet, installed Cardas 4181 and a Audioquest NRG Edison Duplex.

Zero difference after 90 days and swapping from outlet to outlet, amps and integrated Zip, Zero, Notta. so buy the .99 cent outlet works as well as the $200.00 one. Electricity has no sound, interference on your lines  will have an impact but these outlets do nothing to filter noise. 

BTW the Cardas and the Monosaudio look identical.

Electricians do recommend replacing receptacles as the get old, baggy (lose clamp force) and the plastics can crack. Copper or copper plated silver are your best conductors for outlets. Hospital grade often uses is rhodium

Is Rhodium more conductive than silver?
Rhodium is a precious metal from the platinum family. It is hard, acid-resistant, and has a very high melting point (1964°C). Compared to other platinum metals, it is a very good conductor, but still only half as good as gold and just one third as good as silver and only 50% of Copper. 

@vair68robert electricity has no sound. Outlets only conduct and distribute power no filtering. It is a simple circuit. 

Keep telling yourself that 😂 @coralkong  my system is as or more revealing than yours. Have 5 dedicated lines, and all those outlets are still in place. The .99 cent outlet is what I plug my laptop into. 

So when you go to a audio show they replace all the outlet in that hotel room? If it really made a difference they would, but they do not.

You have been bit by the Snake Oil Salesmen and so was I. I did my experiment and found ZERO benefit, Also same with the vaunted cable lifters. Now I do use quality cables (Synergistic, DH Labs, Transparent, LossLess) I also use quality power distributors  ( IsoTek and Wisdom Cable). I have Puron (4) and NFC Power (4) filters as well and they made a substantial improvement as they actually have filtration qualities unlike a $200.00 outlet that simply provides a ground. Also have the Puritan Ground Master (made minimal difference as we upgraded our whole house ground when upgrading our dedicated lines),.

My journey is complete and I am enjoying Piano Concerto No 18 in B-Flat by Vladimir Ashkenazy and it is giving me goose bumps. I am sure it becasue of the Cardas Duplex that my SPL m1000s are plugged into.