WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor

Much has been written in these threads about the dreaded WAF, or wife acceptance factor. It usually entails making a compromise, or not getting that perfect speaker, or amp, or ... Well you get the picture.

But tell the truth guys. Haven't there been times when wifey actually helped?

In my case, I casually mentioned to my wife that the picture quality of my front projector would be much improved if I could better cotrol the light in the den. So what did she do?

She put up nice thick curtains. It not only blocks the light and makes the den like a cave, it also improves the diffuse surround sound field with the absorptive material. What a gal!

Would love to hear your stories. :o)
kinsekd
Audiobroke, I can see from your system pics that you have big balls my friend. Congrats on a lesson well learned, before it was too late.
If your wife's first name starts with C, you may be a very lucky guy because she is currently shopping for some serious hi-end gear for you and you do not know it. You also do not know how much she is about to fork out to buy some of my gear not listed here but hey, it is HER money (kind of. Lucky you!
I had this idea, I was trying to convince the wife that our life would be oh so much more fullfilling if we bought a 2 channel system. Of course she does not see the value as our home theatre system, frankly sounds pretty darn good for two channel audio...but you know how it is, I want a dedicated system for the living room and keep the theatre in the basement.

So I thought that to convice her, I would take her to see one of the internationally acclaimed R&B guys that come to town (Albert Collins) who played in a nice smokey bar downtown. I buy the CD and play it for her at home, and she will be convinced that our sound sucks! and we need a proper two channel set up.

So I did it, she said "Well, it certainly sounded so much better when he was playing 10 feet from us, then this CD sounds"

Yeah thats the drag about our system, its really meant for movies...

Well maybe we should check out a system for upstairs then... WOOO HOOOO I thought

After listening to some systems in the 2K to 5K range, she said to the salesman "you know something, this sounds really good, but nothing like the energy and enveloping sound at the live gig we went to.

the bugger says to her, look to get that kind of sound at home you will have to spend considerably more than 5 grand...thats when she shut down

'Well it sounds almost as good, I start to whine" No, no, no she said that was very special that sound at the bar, we laughed, we danced, it was like we where dating again, I had so much fun, we absolutely have to go out more often.

DRAT! Anyways, anybody else try a ploy like this with success?

Failed for me, I have turned into quite a house mouse since marrage and really do not like going out anymore, especially since we moved from downtown to suburban hell
I have a musician friend who is an electronic drummer. His wife hates having the gear in the house and she resents the investment he has made in it.
One day, while he was practicing, she came in, pointed directly at a piece of gear he had recently installed in his rack and asked annoyingly "What's that?"
He said quietly "Oh, I've had that for years. It's always been there."
She replied "Wait here" and went upstairs. A minute later she returned with her digital camera, saying "Where is it in this picture?", and demanded that my friend find the piece of gear in question in the photo she had taken of his rack only a month previously.

As a single guy, I have to mention that when I have had women over to visit, they have always inquired about the acoustical treatment attached to the walls, the stack of big mono block amps and the huge speakers in the living room. Fortunately, most of them came to instantly appreciate what it was all about after I played some music they liked over my stereo and they said they understood why I had all that "unsightly" stuff in my house. As for those who didn't...
Our W/P 8's speakers and mono amps our in our living room. My WAF was great until I bought the Lamm 2.1's which she tolerates but thinks they are ugly (I agree). She campaigning for some better looking amps. I'll go for that once I found something better than the Lamm 2.1's. She totally backs that approach -so it's a minor compromise between us.