Wadia 27ix Clock Synch w/ Transport-good thing?

I'm thinking I'd like a Wadia 270 Transport. I understand it can synch it's clock with the Wadia 27ix. Is the clock synch a big plus? It certainly limits the Transport/DAC pairings. Could it be that there's that much advantage to clock-synchronizations or can you run just about any DAC with the 270 Transport?
wm2001

Showing 3 responses by wm2001

Thank you Mejames. I see from your system pics that you have some sort of vibration reduction system under your 861. Given the weight of the 861 and the 270, does the Riggle improve the sound a lot? 20%; 50%; 100%?
Jbrockmo has anticipated my next question and that is: does the 270 clock synch with DACs other than the Wadia. It seems the Wadia requires a ST glass connection for the clock synch and it uses a 16.9344 MHz clock while most others use the Coax connection and a wordclock. Very interesting. Still my experience proves Jbrockmo's observation: the 270 Transport is a versatile beast.

So far, I'm enjoying the 270 as the Transport to my ARC DAC2 (without clock synch), which leads nicely into an ARC preamp and ARC VT 200. And, I've got to say, there is significantly more detail--you here a string section and not just what seems to be one instrument playing loudly. And, when you hear the string section, it's 3 dimensional--you hear each instrument, its depth, its harmonic, and its echo.

I can now appreciate orchestral music because I can hear more of what the composer intended--the guitar echoed by the pizzacato of the violins...It's beautiful music.

My experience is also similar to Rtnl, Rja, and MeJames: I've just added powercords to the front end (not the Amp) and isolation cones to the lighter weight DAC and Preamp resting on a solid Billy Bags rack, and the sound is much cleaner. And, I've taken all the interconnect cables and separated them from any and all contact with power cables--wow, what a difference!

And, I never heard the difference before acquiring the Wadia 270.

Thank you all, and thank you Wadia.
JBrockmo, thank you very much for your expertise. The ARC2 DAC and Wadia 270 are "grooving" now that I have tweaked a few other things, including adding Transparent power cords and ganymede isolation footers to the amp.

One thing that perplexes us: I and another 270 owner both feel the ATT glass connection seems to be the best connection between the DAC and the Transport? Do you know why?

WM2001