VPI TNT Turntables

Many years ago I owned a VPI HW-19 Jr turntable + Sumiko Premier FT arm, which I soon replaced with a Merrill Heirloom + ET2. After may years of digital reproduction, I wish to go back to analog reproduction and I would like to buy a VPI TNT with, again, the ET2 arm. Unfortunately (or fortunately), many models/upgrades exist for TNT. Therefore, I would be very grateful if some experts of TNTs could describe the sound/performance variation from TNT Jr to most recent ones so as to help me in my choice. 

Thank you very much!

Luca
luca58
I think the ETs aren't more popular because people are afraid of them.  Although they shouldn't be, while very different the set up is actually much easier than with a pivoted arm once you figure it out. 
Not that this helps the OP but ...

The discussion never resolved the question raised by phoenixengr: why is there an improvement in sound when using a flywheel? Seems to me a likely cause is motor isolation. The flywheel adds a buffer against vibrations. Those VPI motors are noisy in my experience. I found that moving to a teres verus motor on my Aries 1 - essentially making it an idler wheel tt - improved the sound dramatically. So much so that I can't see ever going back to a belt drive.

The VPI Rim Drive had similar strong reviews but they seem to have mothballed it.
The Hurst AC motors will always be a major limiting factor on the VPI tables.  I own a number of the Hurst motors from the 49mm series up to the 60mm T series and the one consistency is they all vibrate, some much worse than others (within the same series).  It looks like VPI just changed from the 59mm series to the cheaper and smaller 49mm on some of their tables (Classic and Scout, possibly others). 

I ditched my SAMA with the Hurst 5W 59mm series on my Scout table and replaced it with a 3 phase BLDC motor with a custom enclosure and controller.  Best thing I ever did for this table.  Zero burn on the belt, 33/45/78 RPM with the same pulley, reversible rotation for idler drive, lots of torque and the smoothest, quietest motor I've found for a turntable.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/288730-3-phase-bldc-motor-turntable-use.html