VPI TNT 3

My first post! After many years of coviting this turntable, I finally ran across a 1993 TNT Series 3 for sale in my area, and for a decent price! Apparently in excellent condition. After asking all of the relevent questions, I snatched it up like no tomorrow! It came without tonearm or cartridge, but I figured out that the arm board holes were of the correct dimension and spacing to fit what I had to install: Sumiko Premier FT-3K tonearm and a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge. Well the K in the FT-3 meant that the hole required some mods to allow the Kenetic VTA adjustment structures! So once that was all worked out and a new large 1/4” thick aluminum platform was fabricated to sit atop my solid steel gear rack floating on 4 VPI Sorbathane legs (great for isolation). Then all of the standard alignments were thoroughly made…

Finally, I was ready to experience what this table had to offer! And OMG, I was not disappointed, even coming from a VPI HW-19 Mk III (same arm/cart pair), I was astounded at how much more there was in my record collection that I could not hear before! WOW!

I’m sure you are all aware of the virtues of the TNT, the bass reaches all new lows, and with such power and grace! There was so much more space and dimension, everything seemed so much more well defined. I had trouble getting through any one album, I wanted to listen to the next one that I had lined up for testing and sheer enjoyment!!! LOL

But my real reason for posting here was to get some feedback on how to get a replacement of the Pulley Drive System? I understand that the original owner had it purposely removed (and was not included in the packaging, except for a few of the remnants… short belt, double pulley head, mounting hardware, etc). Does anyone on here know where to get a replacement pulley drive system?

After a few more days to absorb the sonic benefits of the TNT 3, I will provide a detailed update on what I have experienced.

bhenry91

@bhenry91 ​​​​@bdp24 

The platter/bearing that VPI used is a 2” all stainless steel platter.  The upgrade was done about 5 years ago. It looks similar to the platter of current models.  I do not think it is the same as current platters though.  The arm base was changed to accommodate the platter height.  Photos are in my profile.  The platter/bearing combo together with removing the 3 spindle assembly lowered background noise, improved detail, staging, and imaging.  I recommend you call VPI. 

Again, thank you for all of your replies, great community for sharing ideas. Appreciated!  The platter that I have on my TNT3 is 1.5” thick, with the bottom 1” appears to be aluminum with 7 grooves around its perimeter, the top 1/2” appears to be black acrylic, the bottom has a sheet of cork covering the outer half of the platter with a lead-filled disk inside. It weighed in at 20lbs.

Quick question, right at the moment, I’m using my old PLC box (that came with my HW-19) to adjust the speed control to get 33.3RPMs tested with a stroboscope printed disk. To get 33.3 I need to turn the adjustment dial down to about 9:00.

However, for 45, I can’t turn the dial low enough to bring the speed down to match 45 on the stroboscope disk! Even at the lowest setting, it’s still about 2-3% fast. Does anyone have any suggestions to dial in 45rpms in the meantime until I’m able to pickup an out of production SDS or an updated PLC (currently VPI calls it the ADS).

A 30 Year Old TT, with a Substantial weight for the Platter will have a bearing incorporated that I would be very interested to learn how it has been impacted on over time.

Loss off or Deteriorated Lubricant, can be the cause of excessive metal on metal contact during rotations, causing a change to the Trueness of the Spindles Axis., Additional to this, there is Eccentric Rotations, Thrust Pad Wear, Ball Flattening or Scribing of the surface. Fortunately all able to be remediated.

As per the later Platters, Acetal mechanically fastened to Stainless Steel has been well documented for the very positive impression it has on the end sound. This is a modification carried out on other Platters belonging to other TT’s. The magic seemingly Pops when the two materials are mechanically coupled together.

VAS NY Inc has plenty of knowledge for the VPI TT's. I believe the VAS NY Inc and VPI Premises are very local to each other, possibly neighbours.

"Does anyone have any suggestions to dial in 45rpms in the meantime until I’m able to pickup an out of production SDS or an updated PLC (currently VPI calls it the ADS)."

This is the better option:

Eclipse Series – Sota Turntables

More accurate than SDS/ADS. Real time speed correction