VPI TNT 3

My first post! After many years of coviting this turntable, I finally ran across a 1993 TNT Series 3 for sale in my area, and for a decent price! Apparently in excellent condition. After asking all of the relevent questions, I snatched it up like no tomorrow! It came without tonearm or cartridge, but I figured out that the arm board holes were of the correct dimension and spacing to fit what I had to install: Sumiko Premier FT-3K tonearm and a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge. Well the K in the FT-3 meant that the hole required some mods to allow the Kenetic VTA adjustment structures! So once that was all worked out and a new large 1/4” thick aluminum platform was fabricated to sit atop my solid steel gear rack floating on 4 VPI Sorbathane legs (great for isolation). Then all of the standard alignments were thoroughly made…

Finally, I was ready to experience what this table had to offer! And OMG, I was not disappointed, even coming from a VPI HW-19 Mk III (same arm/cart pair), I was astounded at how much more there was in my record collection that I could not hear before! WOW!

I’m sure you are all aware of the virtues of the TNT, the bass reaches all new lows, and with such power and grace! There was so much more space and dimension, everything seemed so much more well defined. I had trouble getting through any one album, I wanted to listen to the next one that I had lined up for testing and sheer enjoyment!!! LOL

But my real reason for posting here was to get some feedback on how to get a replacement of the Pulley Drive System? I understand that the original owner had it purposely removed (and was not included in the packaging, except for a few of the remnants… short belt, double pulley head, mounting hardware, etc). Does anyone on here know where to get a replacement pulley drive system?

After a few more days to absorb the sonic benefits of the TNT 3, I will provide a detailed update on what I have experienced.

bhenry91

Agree with cleeds.  It is never a good idea to place an internally suspended turntable on a suspended platform.  The two systems are likely to interact badly, even causing oscillations that make things worse. If you are unhappy with the TNT footer suspension, you could perhaps inactivate it and then using the sprung platform might work, if all else is suitable.

That is a very good point that I did not think of… I thought I was just being resourceful re-purposing those Sorbothane legs!  I will definitely take them out and substitute some old tip-toe cones in place!  I will report back if I hear any changes (hopefully improvements). 

Well, you certainly raised a good point about the Sorbothane (double sprung isolation), I switched the Sorbothane legs over to standard solid tip-toe mini cones… and I can tell immediately that the bass was deeper (maybe stronger and more focused would be better adjectives), yet smoother (which was the biggest surprise), the mids and treble were clearer, less harsh (albeit only by a small margin).  So good call you guys!!! Thank you.

Congratulations.   I have been using mine since 1997.  I drove it to VPI in NJ twice for modifications.  First was the JM 12.5 tone arm.  Then second time was for the upgraded bearing and platter.  During the latter mod VPI removed the 3 point spindle assembly and capped the holes.  They polished the plinth.  Looks new.  VPI stated there is better performance without the spindle.  Less noise.  I concur with my own experience.  Experiment with and without the 3 point spinal and let your own ears judge.  New bearing and platter elevated SQ substantially.  I use a Benz Ruby rebuilt a few times by SoundSmith.  Good luck!